Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hall of Fame: Who Will Make It?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Hall of Fame: Who Will Make It?
OK, I'm just playing food for thought, but what current players do many of y'all think will make the Japan Hall of Fame? Would they allow foreigners like Tuffy Rhodes, Alex Cabrera, etc. in?

And what about guys like Ichiro and Hideki Matsui, who decided to take their game to the U.S? I am sure Ichiro will continue to get 200 hits a year and will end up in Cooperstown, but do they count the 15 years after they retire from the entire game or 15 years after they play their last game in Japan? If it's after they retire period, then Ichiro would get in the Hall in the U.S. before in Japan.

Hit me up on this, I'm going to Japan this year and I want to learn more everyday.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Hall of Fame: Who Will Make It?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 8:49 AM ]

Three players were named to the NPB Hall of Fame this year: Marines' pitcher Choji Murata, former Seibu manager Masaaki Mori, and former NHK announcer Masayori Shimura. [Link - Japan Ball]

- Would they allow foreigners like Tuffy Rhodes, Alex Cabrera, etc. in?

Tuffy Rhodes might make the NPB Hall of Fame, as he is no longer counted as a foreign player.
[ Author: Guest: zbadd | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 11:06 AM ]

I was referring to current players.

BTW, what would be the rules apply to Ichiro and Godzilla? Would it be 15 years after they play in Japan or 15 years after they retire period?
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 8:17 PM ]

In my opinion, there is no way that current players end up in the JHOF. Consider - only three non-Asian foreigners are in there now; Lefty O'Doul, Horace Wilson, and Viktor Starffin. Of these three, O'Doul and Wilson were inducted as "New Century" inductees, which is basically a special induction.

Starffin has 300 wins on his resume, and he was the first player to reach that milestone. That's the kind of accomplishment it takes.

Now, if Cabrera sticks around for another 20 years, and reaches 800 HRs, ...

The funny thing is, NPB has, separate from the HOF, the "Meikyuukai" which is like a "Distinguished Players Club." To enter, you need 2,000 hits, 200 wins, or 250 saves. Reach it, and you're automatically in. These, they might be able to reach.

Ichiro and Godzilla are probably a lock for both of these "Halls."
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 8:08 PM ]

- Tuffy Rhodes might make the NPB Hall of Fame, as he is no longer counted as a foreign player.

What do you mean? Did I miss something where Rhodes became a Japanese national?
Rhodes No Longer a Foreign Player
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 9:45 PM | YBS Fan ]

Please read this thread.
Re: Rhodes No Longer a Foreign Player
[ Author: Guest: Nao | Posted: Feb 3, 2005 11:03 PM ]

Whoa! I had no idea that there even was such a rule! Thanks!

Though it does seem a bit unfair since foreign players retain their free agent status from the outset. But who am I to question the fairness of the NPB brass?
[ Author: Guest: zbadd | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 1:04 AM ]

Let me rephrase, what current players will likely end up in the Hall of Fame in the future? Like when we say Barry Bonds is a "future HOFer," who has that status in Japan?

What would the rules be that apply to Ichiro and Godzilla as well?
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 4, 2005 5:24 AM ]

Take a look at the first list in this article [Baseball Guru]. If you want more about each player,click on his name.

The list only goes through 2003, and I've recently realized there was a small glitch in the way I calculated the numbers, so I will be making some significant revisions because of this.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Feb 7, 2005 12:18 PM ]

Randy Bass was on the last Hall of Fame ballot, but fell just short of enough votes for induction.

Rhodes should definitely be inducted when he becomes eligible. However, none of the current crop of foreigners are likely to get in due to being in Japan too few years to build up the necessary stats. Petagine would have a shot if his knees weren't in such bad shape. Cabrera would have to play until he's 40 at least, and be productive all of those years to have a shot.

Incidently, Alex will become the fastest man to 200 homers this season in Japanese annals, barring injury.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.