Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Two Database Query Projects

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Two Database Query Projects
I've got two things I want to do with databases, but could use some help with the serious level of programming needed.

The first would be the more important project, which would involve doing the "short form" win shares for all of NPB history using the Japanese Baseball Database found in this site. I'd also want to generate a list of everyone who has at least 200 career win shares calculated this way. I'd want to either use MySQL or Access, and/or Java or Visual Basic, though I think I'd only want to use VB with Access (otherwise, I'd prefer using open source stuff, so we can share the coding). I want the code available to myself for future use, but as indicated above, I'm willing to go open source and share it with the world. I would use this for a revision of quite a few of my articles on NPB history, and would see that anyone helping would get credit for doing so in at least the article describing how the ratings were arrived at. I'd also be open to working with you on articles for baseballguru.com on this material, or to seing that you get such stuff published either on the baseballguru.com site or elsewhere on the web.

The other project would have the same programming skills needed and would follow the same rules about availability of the code and credit for the work. This one would use the Lahman database of major leaguers and seeks to determine the most similar players to Ichiro at his age (all as of the end of the 2004 season).

I know I've spoken to Westbay-san about the latter idea, but I suspect his plate is a little full for that one.

Anyway, interested people can contact me here or through baseballguru.com.

Jim Albright
Comments
Re: Two Database Query Projects
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 13, 2005 10:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've got two (and a half) database projects going right now, and am trying to wither it down to one. As you know, I'm working with the Baseball-Databank, which feeds the Lahman Database. I want to revamp my own data, and merge it with the Baseball-Databank, so I'm working to make the Baseball-Databank a little more compatible with my database (in an internationalization sort of way).

I've come to the conclusion that at my current pace, I'll never finish either database redesign, so I'm holding off on entering further data into my database until after I finish porting it all to the Baseball-Databank. That means that my 2005 Player Meikan will probably be done a bit late this year. On the other hand, I'll have players' data from both MLB and Japan on a single page.

Fortunately, Borisov-san and Garland-san have both been putting out a great deal more information, so I don't think that my short data entry absence will have much of an impact.

If you or anybody needs some quick, limited (a person or two at a time) information, I'll be happy to whip it out, though.

Once the new Baseball-Databank is up and running, I think you'll find that it will make the second of your requests much easier. And I plan on creating a number of Java and XML based Open Source tools for manipulating the data.
Re: Two Database Query Projects
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 14, 2005 7:44 AM ]

The second project is something I'll shelve for now, since in correspondence with Michael Eng I've learned there are gaps in data which will prevent many early team/seasons from being done. If someone is interested in pursuing it, I'll help, but those gaps will keep the results from being what I'd want for my ratings system - and that was why I thought of it in the first place.

I've finally hit on a way to deal with the other project that doesn't involve the involved query I was seeking, though I wouldn't mind following up on it because I can see many future uses for the code that would come from the effort.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.