Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Is Rakuten Likely to be Competitive?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Is Rakuten Likely to be Competitive?
I don't really even have a good idea of which players Rakuten has on their team, but IIRC, Orix had first dibs on players from both Orix and Kintetsu, leaving Rakuten with the leftovers. I suspect that makes Rakuten the preseason favorite to finish last in the Pacific League. Does anyone see it differently?
Comments
Re: Is Rakuten Likely to be Competitive?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 11, 2005 11:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

Due to pressure from the players, Orix was unable to keep ace pitcher Iwakuma. Also, they avoided Player Representative Isobe, who was very outspoken about the merger. "Full Swing" Nakamura preferred to take a huge pay cut and a minor league contract to going over to Orix. Even with "first dibs," Orix did not make out like bandits.

Rakuten's first draftee was Meiji University ace Ichiba. Under the table money involving him and scouts from the Giants, BayStars, and Tigers saw the three "owners" take responsibility and turn over their teams to new chiefs. But Ichiba remained the pick of the crop of collage pitchers, and he chose to go to the new club that couldn't have had anything to do with the scandal at the time.

As mentioned, Iwakuma won his battle against Orix to become a member of the new team.

Rakuten has got a good combination of young and veteran players. Rakuten avoided drafting high school students in the 2005 draft (held in November of 2004) because they wanted players who didn't need too much development to reach the top team. I think that strategy is going to work for them in the near future.

Personally, I still think that Orix are the favorite to finish in last yet again this year. The whole merger issue last year has really taken its tole on the atmosphere there. Rakuten, on the other hand, has an energy about them, coming from being something new.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.