Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2005 Foreign Players?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
2005 Foreign Players?
Is there a spot that lists all the MLB players that have signed to play in Japan for 2005? Also, any rumors about players about to sign?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: 2005 Foreign Players?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 14, 2005 1:07 AM | YBS Fan ]

You're in luck. I just so happen to have the 2005 list of foreign players prepared for a friend.

Seibu Lions
P 23 Hsu, Ming Chieh
P 40 Wright, Christopher
P 99 Chang, Chih-Chia
IF 1 Fernandez, Jose
IF 42 Cabrera, Alex

Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks
P 28 Feliciano, Pedro
P 63 Gulin, Lindsay
IF 30 Cabrera, Jolbert
IF 42 Zuleta, Julio
IF 77 Batista, Tony
OF 70 Gomes, Anderson

Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters
P 00 Mirabal, Carlos
P 24 Knight, Brandon
IF 5 Seguignol, Fernando
IF 43 Almonte, Eric
IF 67 Obando, Sherman

Chiba Lotte Marines
P 42 Serafini, Dan
IF 4 Franco, Matt
IF 36 Lee, Seung-Yeop
OF 43 Pascucci, Valentino
OF 50 Agbayani, Benny

Orix Buffaloes
P 21 Beirne, Kevin
P 25 Powell, Jeremy
P 49 Parra, Jose
OF 24 Brumbaugh, Cliff
OF 28 Garcia, Karim

Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
P 47 Rath, Gary
P 50 Myette, Aaron
P 54 Hodges, Kevin
IF 42 Lopez, Luis (not the former Hiroshima Carp)
IF 44 Minor, Damon

Chunichi Dragons
P 42 Guzman, Domingo
P 49 Marrtinez, Luis
IF 44 Woods, Tyrone
OF 4 Ochoa, Alex

Yakult Swallows
P 42 Gonzalez Dicky
P 49 Ramirez Jr., Alex
IF 2 Riggs, Adam
OF 3 Ramirez, Alex

Yomiuri Giants
P 35 Miceli, Dan
P 42 Sikorski, Brian
OF Rhodes, Tuffy (*Not considered a foreign player this year)
OF 22 Kapler, Gabe

Hanshin Tigers
P 17 Brown, Jamie
P 54 Williams, Jeffrey
P 59 Cubillan, Darwin
IF 4 Sheets, Andy
OF 38
OF 41 Spencer, Shane

Hiroshima Toyo Carp
P 32 Romano, Mike
P 49
Bale, John
P 98 Feliciano, Juan
IF 43 LaRocca, Greg

Yokohama BayStars
P 42 Kroon, Marc
P 43 Holtz, Michael
P 50 Bowers, Cedrick
IF 39 Witt, Kevin

There was some guy trying out for the Giants, but I read today that he didn't make it. Otherwise, keep watching the news forum to see who else signs, if anyone.

Source: Shukan Baseball Player Meikan 2005
[ Author: Guest: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 14, 2005 4:09 AM ]

Why in the world did Chiba Lotte re-sign Matt Franco? His numbers last year were mediocre for a suketto. I caught an interview of his once, and I'm sure he's a nice guy with a positive attitude, but we need more production at his positions.

We might as well just start Imae or Nishioka at third all year, and let them develop. In the outfield, we could use Saburo, Benny, and Hirashita.
[ Author: Guest: Dev | Posted: Feb 17, 2005 8:26 AM ]

With Bobby V at the head of this organization, don't believe they will do anything based on talent. He has his "in" group - the guys who will kiss his azz to play. In exchange, he puts them on the field past their playing days. Really, his ego is completely out of control. Why didn't he re-sign Minchey? Minchey has got to be the least recognized super player out there. But, not a connesuer of Bobby V's hind quarters - thus no contract yet.

Chiba! Wake up and fire this manager. He is a egotistical cheating sleeze! (I have seen him around camp and Chiba. This is all stated from first hand experience!)
[ Author: Guest: Ed | Posted: Feb 16, 2005 11:21 PM ]

Thanks for the information. Do you know who the #38 OF for Hanshin is? Thanks.
Managers
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 17, 2005 10:23 PM ]

This is a reply to Dev's post.

Bobby Valentine's ego's out of control? Who would have thought that? No seriously, I think most MLB and NPB managers have out-of-control egos, just like most head coaches in the NBA and the NFL are egomaniacs. I think it's a trait that's responsible for them getting to where they are, though. You can't be a selfless, warm-hearted person and be a great manager or head coach most of the time. If you're too nice, like former Royals' ('87) manager Billy Gardner, players will step all over you and take advantage of you.

You have to give Valentine credit, he is good with the fans and the Japanese media. They have a spotless image of him.

This is about managers also, but slightly off the topic. Cardinals' manager Tony LaRussa is a hypocrite in my book. He is defending Mark McGwire now in the whole steroid controversy, yet this is the same LaRussa who defended Jose Canseco back in the later 1980s when fans were talking about Canseco being on steroids. Just yesterday, LaRussa claimed that he knew Canseco was on steroids because Canseco bragged about having a helper. Which means that LaRussa was lying when he defended Canseco back in the '80s. And he certainly had no problem with Canseco on the juice since it helped him win 3 straight division titles from 1988-'90.

Some sports writers are now claiming that they suspected Canseco all along because he was much bigger than this twin brother Ozzie. I don't believe Ozzie was clean. When he played in Japan in 1991 or '92 with the Kintetsu Buffaloes, Ozzie was pretty ripped himself. Plus Jose and Ozzie have always been close. I'm sure that if Jose was a regular user then Ozzie must have been on the juice also.
[ Author: baseballdawg | Posted: Feb 21, 2005 9:26 AM ]

Do you know who the American players were, who tried out, and didn't make it?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 21, 2005 10:33 AM | YBS Fan ]

While birthplace may not always match nationality, you can click on the links to all of the above players (who have them) and see where they were born. I'm working on redoing how locations are done so that one may search by country, contenent, city, region, etc. As it is, some people are listed by state/prefecture, others by country. You'll have to know a little geography to know which America (North or South) or other world region from the current birthplace values.

For those not linked above, try searching for them with my experimental Baseball-Databank player search (links to Baseball-Reference). Enter the players' names separated by a space (no comma).
[ Author: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Feb 22, 2005 2:56 AM | HIR Fan ]

Westbaystars - just to let you know, there seems to be a problem with some of the links. Try clicking on Mike Romano for example.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 22, 2005 8:09 AM | YBS Fan ]

As always, thanks for pointing out any problems.

However, I can't duplicate this one. Perhaps there's a mis-understanding. I haven't entered the new foreigners (like Mike Romano) into my local database yet. For those that don't have a link, you need to look them up at a Major League site such as Baseball-Reference.com. I've created a search page here that will do that for you. Entering "Mike Romano" (without the quotes) results in this page, from which a link to Baseball-Reference is provided.

There is a possibility that not all players are available at Baseball-Reference, such as career minor leaguers or players who have only played in South America and/or Asia. I'll be unifying my Japanese baseball database with the Baseball-Databank database in the near future. This page is an aid I use to help me look up players already in the BDB.

I hope this clears things up. Consider it a research tool.
[ Author: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 6:22 AM | HIR Fan ]

Must be a problem with my computer? I click on any of this section:

OF 41 Spencer, Shane

Hiroshima Toyo Carp
P 32 Romano, Mike
P 49

and it opens up the info on Wei-Tzu Lin!

Thanks for looking at it anyhow!
[ Author: Guest: belinda taylor | Posted: Feb 23, 2005 8:12 AM ]

Orix Buffaloes:

One of my mates from Australia has just signed with Orix and he is not on any lists, Nathan Thompson from NSW.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 11:53 PM ]

- He is a egotistical cheating sleeze! (I have seen him around camp and Chiba. This is all stated from first hand experience!)

Interesting comments. Can you substantiate them?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.