Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2005 Pacific League Predictions

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
2005 Pacific League Predictions
Shukan Baseball published their 2005 pennent predictions in last week's edition (2005 #12). The 22 "experts" at Shukan Baseball made the following predictions:
Team   1  2  3  4  5  6 Pnts
FSH 17 5 0 0 0 0 127
SL 5 11 4 2 0 0 107
CLM 0 5 6 6 3 2 75
HNHF 0 0 8 11 2 1 70
OBs 0 1 3 3 9 6 50
TRGE 0 0 1 0 8 13 33
* Points are awarded 6 for 1st place votes, 5 for second, 4 for third, 3 for fourth, 2 for fifth, and 1 for sixth place finishing predictions.

I find it interesting that they still think that Rakuten will finish in last. While I'm not willing to put Rakuten in A-Class quite yet, I think they'll finish higher than the Orix Buffaloes.

So, what are your predictions? How well do you think the experts have called it?
Comments
Re: 2005 Pacific League Predictions
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Mar 20, 2005 11:14 PM ]

This one is tougher to call so I'll go last first.

Orix will stink it up. Rakuten will edge them out with a strong second half. The Fighters will be the odd team out and Seibu will finish third. Chiba and Softbank will battle to the final week. Softbank will edge them, the Lions will eliminate the Marines and Softbank in the playoffs and lose in five to (UGGH) Yomiuri.

I could be really off though!
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Mar 21, 2005 4:48 PM | YAK Fan ]

As much as I'd love to see Orix fail miserably for what they caused last year, I'm impressed with what I've seen so far. But that still doesn't mean Orix will draw more fans than Hanshin.

My predictions:
  • Fukuoka Softbank Hawks
  • Seibu Lions
  • Orix Buffaloes
  • Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters
  • Chiba Lotte Marines
  • Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
I hope I'm off with the Orix spot, but they've been rather consistent with the pitching so far. Softbank's pitching doesn't seem to have improved from last year, which is what hurt them in the playoffs, but their new bats more than make up for it. Nippon Ham and Lotte aren't that much improved, not enough to beat out the combined Orix/Kintetsu team, even though Iwakuma and Isobe left. Rakuten made their stadium dimensions too big, and it'll only hurt themselves in the long run.
[ Author: Guest: Brian | Posted: Mar 21, 2005 10:04 PM ]

I don't think there is a person alive who thinks the Buffaloes will out draw the Tigers, brother.
[ Author: himself | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 6:14 AM | FSH Fan ]

I might be a bit biased with my predictions, as I'm a proud Hawks fan. But I believe their firepower will offset the losses of some pitching, not to mention Iguchi. With that said:

1. Softbank
2. Seibu
3. Nippon Ham
4. Lotte
5. Orix
6. Rakuten

(Seibu prevails over Nippon Ham, but falls to the Hawks in the final playoff round.)

Here's hoping that my prediction holds true.
[ Author: TimC51 | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 12:46 PM ]

Holy Cow! Rakuten got blown out 26-0 by Marines yesterday. On the other hand, they are still 1-1. But this seems like a bad omen.
Re: Rakuten/Marines
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 5:07 PM ]

- "...Rakuten got blown out 26-0 by Marines yesterday.."

Oh wow, ouch.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 28, 2005 5:13 PM ]

Sure I'll give it a shot.
  1. Fukuoka Softbank Hawks
  2. Seibu Lions
  3. Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters
  4. Orix Buffaloes

5. Chiba Lotte Marines
  6. Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
I'm having a hard time deciding between Orix and Chiba for the 4th spot. I'll still go with Orix though.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 1:20 AM ]

My predictions:
  1. Softbank Hawks
  2. Seibu Lions
  3. Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters
  4. Chiba Lotte Marines
  5. Tohoku Rakuten Golden Eagles
  6. Orix Buffaloes
Rakuten started the season out with a win, but have now lost the last four games, including a 26-0 shutout by the Marines. I still think Orix will not finish that high with the losses of Iwakuma, Nakamura, and Isobe. Also, Orix has not shown me this year that they are yet any way above a last place team.
OT: Hawks Home?
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 4:24 PM | HNHF Fan ]

Sorry, I want to ask why Hawks don't play their home games in Fukuoka Dome? Then where is their home?
Re: OT: Hawks Home?
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Mar 31, 2005 9:26 PM ]

The Hawks do play their home games in the Fukuoka Dome. It's just been renamed to "Fukuoka Yahoo! Japan Dome."
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 1:12 AM ]

In an interesting series of events, the Rakuten Eagles have asked at the 12-team executive meeting to add productive players to their roster. Yomiuri Giants' official, Hidetoshi Kiyotake, said "It would be a problem if they can't win because we're trying to increase the popularity of baseball." [Link - Japan Ball]
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 1, 2005 9:11 PM | HT Fan ]

Isn't a little early to be panicking? As I write this, they're demolishing the Lions 15-5 in the 7th. Give 'em time.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Apr 2, 2005 12:41 AM ]

- Isn't a little early to be panicking?

I'm not panicking about Rakuten, I still think they will turn it around to have a postive first year. Also, I think they will be a competitive team in the very near future. Rakuten has a very bright future with the acquistion of Iwakuma. Also, rookie Yasuhiro Ichiba's future is very promising regardless of him starting at ni-gun. I just think that the story is weird.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 2, 2005 3:04 PM | HT Fan ]

No, I didn't mean you were panicking. I was referring to that Giants' official. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

For the life of me I can't understand why an official belonging to a rival club (and a club that was against expansion anyway) would be (a) asked to comment about Rakuten's fortunes, and (b) expressing concern that they won't win many games. Rakuten should politely tell him to butt out.

Besides, as one poster commented (or was it Jim Allen), Rakuten may still be popular despite not winning many games. That Yomiuri mindset, that the only way to maintain your fan base is to keep winning at any cost, may not apply outside the capital.
[ Author: Halobird | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 9:50 PM ]

My predictions:

Hawks
Marines
Fighters
Lions
Eagles
Buffaloes

Unfourtunately, the Hawks are still the elite team. Everybody knows that.

The Marines' offense is going to suprise and their pitching is much-improved.

The Fighters are turning into an offensive power-house. Look out.

The Lions are gonna be a big disappointment. Just going with a hunch.

The Eagles will have a strong second half. They've got a nice mix of players, rookies AND veterans. But let's not get our hopes very high anyway.

The Buffaloes are still the same old BlueWave. Hahahahaha.
[ Author: badteacher | Posted: Sep 25, 2005 4:47 PM | CD Fan ]

I don't want to talk about my Central league predictions because I was only right about the Carp (Yomiuri #1 - eek), but my prediction of Softbank edging Lotte, and Seibu ending up third looks right on! Where is the contest now, Yakyu Shop?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.