Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kiyohara Batting Fourth?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Kiyohara Batting Fourth?
Is anyone else dumbfounded that the Giants have Kiyohara batting fourth and Kokubo sixth? I know I shouldn't care, being a Tigers fan, but seeing stuff like that on any team bugs me as a fan.
Comments
Re: Kiyohara Batting Fourth?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 4, 2005 8:44 PM | HAN Fan ]

Kiyohara is more popular and the Giants are trying to boost their popularity. I would agree that Kokubo is by far the more dangerous and capable player.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 6, 2005 7:41 PM ]

Thank god for this forum. As long as Kiyo is batting fourth the Giants will not win. He is a hole in the middle of that lineup.

I agree, put Kokubo 4th, Tuffy 5th, and Kiyohara 6th or even 7th. If he's not doing the job he doesn't deserve to be there. Do they have anybody else who can play first? Maybe put Shimizu there. He can hit over 300.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 7, 2005 7:13 AM | HAN Fan ]

Whilst I might think Kokubo is a more dangerous batter, I don't share a lot of peoples' poor opinion of Kiyohara. I think he is still a very capable player.

The Giants can shuffle their lineup as much as they like, but it will not hide the fact that they have serious deficiencies in their pitching lineup. They almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against the BayStars last night when they should have cruised to a comfortable win. Until they deal with this problem who is batting fourth is not important.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Apr 7, 2005 3:15 PM | HT Fan ]

Given 400 at-bats, I would expect Kiyohara to hit 20 home runs or so, which isn't bad. But if Nishi and Nioka play well this year, Kiyohara could be the worst hitter in the Giants starting lineup.

I agree that the Giants' biggest issue is pitching. They have enough bats to carry Kiyohara, even if he's batting cleanup.

I don't mean to bash the guy (just the Giants' management), I think he adds some excitement to the game. Though I will say my favourite all-time Kiyohara memory is when Jeff Williams struck him out to end three straight games during the 2003 season. I knew it was a special season right then.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.