Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Masao Kida

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Masao Kida
I heard that Masao Kida signed a minor league contract with the Chicago Cubs. But I can't find any news about it. Is he returning in USA or will he wear the Orix uniform? Glad if you can give me details
Comments
Re: Masao Kida
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 8, 2002 7:31 AM | YBS Fan ]

About half way down this thread, several other readers also commented that Kida had signed a minor league deal with the Cubs.

While entering player data into my database from older newspapers, I came across the article in Nikkan Sports announcing Kida's return to North America. However, the only additional details are that he had been given 2-3 other offers with the Cubs' being the best.

After that, it was mentioned that he went to the Tigers as a free agent in 1999. After being dropped to the minors in 2000, Kida returned to Orix in June. His contract with Orix expired last off season, so Kida is once again pursuing his dream of playing in the Majors.

You might be able to find more information on the Chicago Sports' Cubs web site.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Feb 8, 2002 11:58 AM ]

Kida hasn't signed a minor-league contract with the Cubs. According to Nikkan Sports, he's only going to have a try-out at the Cubs camp in Mesa, Arizona. If he does well, he may get a minor league contract and an invitation to spring training. It looks like the Cubs are stockpiling middle relief, so I think he has a good chance, but nothing's been decided yet.
[ Author: Cub Fan | Posted: Feb 8, 2002 12:22 PM ]

I have asked about Kida on major league chat sites and nobody has said anything about him being on the Cubs.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 9, 2002 6:05 AM | HT Fan ]

Kida with the Cubs? Unless he's really turned things around, I hope not; his prior MLB stats are miserable. The Cubs had one of the best bullpens in the National League last year and they should continue that success this year despite losing a couple of free agents. I doubt Kida will make the cut.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 17, 2002 10:10 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (2/17) Nikkan Sports reports that Kida's try out with the Cubs was not a success. He threw 65 pitches to AAA batters allowing few hits, but commented that his slider wasn't going as well as it did in practice.

But Kida isn't giving up in North America. "There are still 29 other teams, right? I won't give up until I've been cut from every one." That's the spirit! Gambare! Kida.
[ Author: Sharks410 | Posted: Jul 11, 2003 2:48 AM ]

Any status on Kida?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 11, 2003 6:54 PM ]

Masao Kida is now pitching for the Las Vegas Stars, the AAA team of the LA Dodgers. It looks like he might have another shot at the big leagues if he keeps pitching well.
[ Author: Guest: Carl Gorneault | Posted: Aug 15, 2003 5:39 AM ]

I believe that Kida will be the starting pitcher on Friday (August 15, 2003) for the LA Dodgers.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jul 5, 2004 9:28 PM ]

Kida was with the Dodgers in 2004 Spring Training, but I don't see him on the Las Vegas web site. Did he get hurt or did the Dodgers release him?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 18, 2004 9:55 AM ]

Kida is with AAA Las Vegas. [Link - MLB.com]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 22, 2004 8:51 AM ]

Kida has joined AAA Las Vegas. [Link - lv51.com]

So far Kida has pitched in two games with a 11.25 ERA. [Link]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 25, 2004 12:59 PM ]

The Dodgers purchased the contract of Masao Kida from AAA Las Vegas. Kida had a 3-1 record with a 5.97 ERA in 9 games at Las Vegas. [Link - MLB.com]
Re: Kida optioned to AAA Las Vegas
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Aug 29, 2004 4:12 AM ]

Kida was optioned to AAA Las Vegas on Friday. Kida was 0-0 with a 0.00 ERA, in 4.2 IP, with 1 BB and 5K. [Transactions - MLB.com] [Stats - MLB.com]
Kida Claimed by Seattle
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 2, 2004 7:48 AM ]

Kida was claimed off waivers by the Mariners. [Link - MLB.com]
Re: Kida Claimed by Seattle
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Sep 3, 2004 12:38 PM | HAN Fan ]

Masao Kida's box for the September 2, 2004 game against Toronto reads:
       IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
Kida 3.1 3 0 0 1 3 0 0.00

Source: MLB.com

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.