Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin's Kataoka, Fujimoto

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Hanshin's Kataoka, Fujimoto
I am wondering about the status of soem Hanshin players. 1) Why isn't Fujimoto currently playing? is he injured? 2) Where is Kataoka? What's happened to him? Why hasn't he been played so much in the last 2 years?
Comments
Re: Hanshin's Kataoka, Fujimoto
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 9, 2005 1:17 PM ]

Sekimoto has recently been prefered to Fujimoto simply due to the former's superior offensive output this year.

As for Kataoka, Imaoka is now the regular at third. The veteran Machida has been quite useful in the pinch hitting role this year and has come through with some big hits, so I guess that's why we haven't seen Kataoka.

Despite a few clutch hits last year it really looked as though Kataoka has almost had his day. Painfully slow on the basepaths, I can't see a place for him on the club really.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 10, 2005 6:44 PM | HAN Fan ]

Don't be so quick to write off Kataoka. Imaoka makes too many mistakes at third base to be secure. I am surprised Okada doesn't move him back to second base and have Sekimoto at third (he is playing them both).
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: May 11, 2005 1:01 AM ]

Hi there Christopher, yes I concur. I'd like to see Sekimoto back at third and Imaoka in his more familiar position at second. However I'll respectfully disagree with you regarding Kataoka. Looking forward, I see no future use for him at this club, but I think we've had this discussion before.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 11, 2005 10:09 AM | HAN Fan ]

If Sekimoto was back at third, I would agree with you and in fact that is the logical solution to Imaoka's mistakes. However, if Sekimoto stays at second, what other options does Okada have? I agree it is unlikely that we will see Kataoka this year (or again), but he is the better third baseman by far, and unless Imaoka improves (and he really does need to improve) Okada will need to put someone who knows the position well in place, and the only logical candidate is Kataoka. Okada did try Okihara, but he was a conspicuous failure.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: May 9, 2005 1:42 PM | HAN Fan ]

Fujimoto wasn't really hitting that well. After a period of time, and some time with Sekimoto, Okada replaced Fujimoto at second base. Fujimoto's last appearance was April 26th.

Kataoka picked up a thigh injury. He was injured for most of last year, and by many accounts, doesn't get on with Okada. He may be seen this year, but for him to be a permanent fixture, he will have to hit as well as Imaoka is doing and on current form. That will be difficult.
[ Author: Guest: Gern Blanston | Posted: May 21, 2005 1:10 PM ]

Okada is a horrible manager and doesn't realize the talents of the players he has. It was a mistake to make Toritani a starter. Fujimoto should have stayed at shortstop, Imaoka at second, and Kataoka at third. Toritani needs time to mature. Kataoka can more than prove his worth if given playing time.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.