Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Masaichi Kaneda Correction

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Masaichi Kaneda Correction
Ummm. How does Masaichi Kaneda have more CG's then starts in a season? If you could go back and fix the problem, that would be nice. Because it's pretty obvious some of the stats are incorrect. Still, the rest of the data is probably correct, and the database overall is pretty sweet. It's almost as good as b-ref.
Comments
Re: Masaichi Kaneda Correction
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 16, 2005 4:33 PM | YBS Fan ]

I never noticed it before, but I see that now. Yet, these numbers match what are in both the 1994 and 2004 Official Baseball Encyclopedias contain. The yearly Record Books put out by Baseball Magazine Sha also have instances where starts are less than complete games, such as Matuzaka in 2004: 23 games, 10 complete games, 1 close, and 9 starts. Considering that Matsuzaka is primarilly a starter, and I'm sure he started most of those 23 games, I think that complete games are not included under the starts field. If that is so, then Matsuzaka was used as a starter 19 out of 23 games played, which sounds about right.

The same goes with finishes. One generally finishes a complete game as well, yet the number of complete games is not included in the finishes column either.

The unusual thing about Kaneda that made this stand out was that he threw many more complete games than games where he started and did not complete.

I see that Baseball-Reference includes complete games with games started (see Candy Cummings as an example). But they do not include complete games with games finished (see Roy Halladay as an example).

Because I need to maintain the data according to Japanese reference sources, which all don't include complete games with starts, I'll make a note of it with the pitchers' stats. When I incorporate my data with that on Baseball-Reference, then I'll be sure to convert starts to include complete games.

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't realized that complete games weren't being included with starts before.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jun 16, 2005 4:45 PM ]

- I see that Baseball-Reference includes complete games with games started (see Candy Cummings as an example).

Though, Cummings pitched mostly before the establishment of the the NL in 1876, Cummings did pitch two years in the NL (1876 and '77). Before the establishment of the NL, mostly every team had only one or two pitchers who pitched every day. About a GF (Game Finished), MLB.com states it's to the last relief pitcher in the game and was not the starting pitcher. [MLB Abbriviations]
[ Author: Guest: kappa | Posted: Jun 17, 2005 12:33 AM ]

I checked 10 players. CG and Games are correct but GS are all incorrect.
                        GS
Masaichi Kaneda 569
Victor Starffin 449
Keishi Suzuki 577
Takehiko Bessho 483
Masaaki Koyama 583
Hisashi Yamada 447
Tadashi Wakabayashi 327
Tetusya Yoneda 626
Jiro Noguchi 321
Osamu Higashio 537
I think you misunderstood Japanese words.

CG means kantou - games finished by starters.
Koutai Kanryou - kanryou means GF.
Shiai tousho - tousho means game started but replaced in the middle of games.

So shiai tousho + kanto = GS. Please check stats again.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.