Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

FA in 7 years?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
FA in 7 years?
I heard that the required service time for free agency in Japan is now 7 years. Any truth to this?
Comments
Re: FA in 7 years?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jul 11, 2002 1:20 PM ]

> I heard that the required service time for free
> agency in Japan is now 7 years. Any truth to this?

Nope! It's 9 years for regularly drafted players, and 10 years for gyaku-shimei drafted players. Gyaku-shimei, or "reverse selection", is a process in the Japanese amateur player draft wherein college or industrial league players who are selected in the first or second round may choose which team they will sign with, if more than one wishes to sign them.

Also, once a player has been granted free agency, he has to wait four years before he gains it again.
[ Author: Guest: Suraj | Posted: Jul 17, 2002 4:22 PM ]

Something I've always wondered:

Player signs with team. Player cannot leave team for 9 (or 10) years unless traded. However, monetary agreements are made on a yearly basis (no long-term contract). What if no agreement is made. E.g. this year Hiyama makes 3-oku (made that up), and next year Hanshin wants to give him 3.5-oku, but he wants 5-oku. Stalemate. What happens if an agreement is not reached?
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jul 18, 2002 3:12 AM ]

It goes to arbitration. The arbitration panel, if I remember correctly, includes the commissioner and the league presidents. I believe Ochiai was the first player to take it all the way to arbitration. In MLB, the player submits one amount, the team submits their amount, and the arbitrator picks one or the other. It's designed to encourage negotiation. I don't know if NPB's arbitration is set up the same way.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.