Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Reaction at Baseball being Removed from the Olympics?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Reaction at Baseball being Removed from the Olympics?
I'm just writing in to ask if any Japanese people were disappointed that baseball was removed from the 2012 games? Supposedly baseball and softball are too American, but the Japanese won the first Softball world cup. It's also a smack in the face to the baseball nations of the Carribean, two of which (Cuba and Venezuela) have no love for the United States. Just because people in Europe don't play doesn't mean it's not a world sport. I guess I'll have to stay riveted to rythmic dance.
Comments
Re: Japanese reaction at baseball being removed from the Olympics
[ Author: HaruSaru | Posted: Jul 28, 2005 7:35 PM | HC Fan ]

- Just because people in Europe don't play doesn't mean it's not a world sport

People in Europe do play baseball. As a matter of fact they play baseball in every country in Europe as far as I know (maybe except for Iceland), although the level is pretty far away from the big countries. Baseball is pretty big in the Netherlands, Italy, Russia, etc.
Re: Japanese Reaction to Baseball being Removed from the Olympics
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jul 28, 2005 9:41 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes they were. However, read Jim Allen's latest Hot Corner column in the Daily Yomiuri for the real reasons why baseball lost out.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 6:12 AM ]

This is Jim Allen's Hot Corner article on MLB players in the Olympics: Link [Daily Yomiuri].
[ Author: Guest: Smeghead52 | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 2:08 PM ]

Well, Bud Selig is a bit of an idiot, I'll give you that. I suppose he didn't feel too bad about it because of this baseball world cup where MLB will get most of the profits.

I really don't care if Gary Sheffield wants to play or not as I think the world cup will promote young talent from countries one does not get to see.
Re: World Baseball Classic
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 4:30 PM ]

- I suppose he didn't feel too bad about it because of this baseball world cup where MLB will get most of the profits.

That's where a lot of the problem with the WBC is, all of the power is in the hands of Major League Baseball and the MLBPA. There isn't an equal representation in this tournament for all parties involved.

Like Yakult Swallows' and JPBPA's union representative Atsuya Furuta said, the tournament serves the interests of the major leagues and has only its interests in mind.
[ Author: Guest: playa'gawa | Posted: Jul 29, 2005 10:25 PM ]

Most Japanese people I speak to couldn't care less about the World Baseball Classic. What really irked them is that baseball was eliminated as a category in the Olympics. The Olympics was the best chance for Japan to prove to the world that they were numero uno in yakyu. The W.B.C. is a joke and everyone knows it. It's a darn shame in my mind.
[ Author: Guest: Smeghead52 | Posted: Jul 30, 2005 4:02 AM ]

Some of the sports announcers here in the US say that we should have a true world series instead. That would be interesting, but it would be November by the time they got around to it.

It's too bad there isn't an organization like FIFA, independent of any baseball organization, to run a world cup or to at least overule Bud Selig and allow players in MLB to play for their countries. He won't let foriegn players play for their countries either.

I hope NPB will finally get rid of their archaic gaijin policy of only two foreigners per team. This is an NPB policy, not a Japanese government one. I think it would improve baseball in Japan and worldwide.

[From Editor: It's been more than two foreigners for a decade, now.]
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jul 31, 2005 10:32 AM ]

Well changing the gaijin policy was long overdue. Even in 1995.
[ Author: Guest: Scott Boa | Posted: Aug 10, 2005 3:38 AM ]

The International Baseball Federation does hold a "World Cup" Baseball Tournament. Cuba is the defending champion, having won the last World Cup in 2003. The XXXVI Senior World Cup is in Holland September 3-17, 2005.

The IBF also hosts the Intercontinental Cup, another top-quality tournament. They also host other high-caliber international tournaments such as the World Junior Baseball Championships and the World University Baseball Championships.

Major League Baseball does not have a monopoly on top-quality baseball.
[ Author: Guest: Al Luplow | Posted: Aug 14, 2005 1:48 AM ]

The problem with the WBC is money and the timing.

Frankly, I haven't followed it so much because I sensed from the start it wasn't going to happen. Like it or not, the TV rights for the WBC in the US will fetch much more than all other markets, same as the Olympics rights. The value of the rights is based on fan interest, and face it, MLB is driving the US fan interest. We are not rabid NPB fans or Netherlands baseball fans or whatever. So that's where the power lies, like it or not. While a greedy MLB, MLBPA, or Commissioner may make for easy targets, it's the economics that are driving this.

The timing of the games are poor. I can't see the games being in spring training when no one is in shape, nor can I see another series after MLB playoffs and World Series into late October. That's a long season. Perhaps a series of one game, round robin eliminations around and in lieu of the MLB All-Star break might be interesting and more practical. It's funny that soccer doesn't have the problem of single elimination, but baseball is into best of 5 or best of 7.
[ Author: Guest: Al Luplow | Posted: Aug 14, 2005 1:51 AM ]

And on the original posting, I am disappointed that baseball was eliminated. I am a big proponent of keeping pros out of the Olympics, which include the so called national basketball teams who train and regularly play together as pros, for example.

This maybe a case of European ethnocentricm since baseball is a sport played in the Americas and East Asia almost exclusively.
[ Author: Guest: Smeghead 52 | Posted: Aug 17, 2005 6:39 AM ]

I've always wondered why there can't be one championship game between NPB and MLB. I think that would generate some ratings and more global interest.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.