Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Roster Rules

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Roster Rules
Hi!

I just wanted to know the rules regarding the roster in pro yakyuu. I know that the roster is 28 big, but it seems to me that the roster changes everyday. For example, Uehara is not always in the roster for the Giants. Is there some special rule regarding starting pitchers, where they can be rotated in and out of the roster? And if the rules for the MLB rosters are different could you explain that a little too?

Thanks
Comments
Re: Roster Rules
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Aug 19, 2002 11:48 AM ]

In NPB, there are basically three rosters. The first is the roster of shihaika senshu, or players contracted to the club. There does not appear to be a set number for this roster, and I'm not sure if there is an upper limit, but practicality suggests around 65-70 players. These players comprise both ichi-gun (parent team) and ni-gun (minor league team), as well as all bullpen catchers and batting practice pitchers.

Next there is the roster of shutsujo touroku senshu, players who are on the ichi-gun team. This roster has a limit of 28 players, who are registered to enter official games.

Of the shutsujo touroku senshu, only 25 are eligible to enter a particular game, these are the benchi-iri senshu, the players who sit on the bench. What this means is that Japanese teams have great flexibility when it comes to pitchers and pinch hitters. Uehara, for example, may be on the benchi iri roster for games that he will pitch in, but might not be on that roster (i.e., not eligible to enter the game) on other nights when Giants want to carry an extra batter or reliever.

There is no disabled list in Japanese baseball. An injured or rehabbing player is simply taken off the shutsujo touroku roster and sent down to the minor league team.

In MLB, every team has a 40 man roster. These players are protected from the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). The Major League team roster is 25 men, so the 40 man roster is filled out with the organization's top 15 prospects.

The Rule 5 draft allows a team to draft a player from another team. If they do so, they must keep him on the Major League (25 man) roster for the whole season, or else return him to his original team. Only players who are not on the 40 man roster and have played three years as a pro are eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

On Sept. 31st, the Major League roster expands from 25 to 40 men. This allows teams to play some of their top prospects against Major League competition. Few teams actually bring up all 15 prospects, since that can make the bench pretty crowded.

MLB makes use of two disabled lists: the 15-day disabled list, and the 60-day disabled list. A player on the 15 day disabled list still counts as on the 40 man roster, but is no longer on the 25 man roster. Players on the 60 day disabled list don't count against the 40 man roster. Players can be switched between the disabled lists at anytime. For example, after undergoing elbow surgery, the Cubs' Kerry Wood had to recover over the 1999 season. The Cubs would put him on the 60 day DL, then the 15 day DL, then the 60 day DL, and so on, so they could keep him on the 40 man roster and protect as many prospects as possible.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.