Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yomiuri Giants New Outfielder

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Yomiuri Giants New Outfielder
I was just wondering, does anybody know who would replace Hideki Matsui in the Yomiuri Giants organization once Hideki Matsui joins a MLB team in the US? Please let me know by posting it here.
Comments
Re: Yomiuri Giants New Outfielder
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 3, 2002 10:12 AM | YBS Fan ]

The most likely candidate, to me, would be Takayuki Saitoh. With Yoshinobu Takahashi out with injurries so often this season, Saitoh-kun finally got a chance to play. Batting .310 in 109 games, I think he's earned a spot.

Of course, the Giants may draft a college player who will step in and play from the start, going around those who spend their careers at 2-gun, like Saitoh.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 3, 2002 11:21 AM | HT Fan ]

The Daily Yomiuri ran a story that suggested the Giants might pursue Tomoaki Kanemoto.
[ Author: Baseball_Fan | Posted: Nov 4, 2002 8:43 AM ]

Is there any way we can see which college players are available to these Japanese teams in the draft?
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Nov 4, 2002 10:57 AM ]

If you can read Japanese, I use the following site alot: http://www1.odn.ne.jp/~caq79450/www1.odn.ne.jp/index.htm

While I think Saito should also be given a shot, the Giants are apparently going to seek a foreign player to cover that spot. Izzy Alcantara's name has come up. Alcantara isn't a center fielder, though, and would presumably move to right while Takahashi moves to center. Alcantara should prove to be a terrible addition, so I hope they get him.

The Giants' first two choices appear to be pitchers (one is Hiroshi Kisanuki; I can't remember who the other is). There has also been some consideration of putting Nioka out in center (you gotta be kidding!), but I don't think that will ever happen.

Kanemoto has been said in the Yomiuri Shimbun to be keeping his Giants' option open, but I saw other reports that said he would refuse any Giants overtures.

One scenario is that they sign Roberto Petagine and put him in right and move Takahashi over to center. Anybody want to take bets on how long Peta-chan's creaky knees hold out on artificial turf? Or they could still sign Nakamura and put Etoh out there, giving them the worst defensive outfield in all of Japanese baseball.

Incidentally, the Giants are now going to ask their players if they have any intention of eventually heading off to MLB. They're especially afraid that Takahashi and Uehara are going to ask to be posted. That would be fun.
[ Author: Baseball_Fan | Posted: Nov 4, 2002 3:43 PM ]

What about in English?
[ Author: redsoxfan | Posted: Nov 4, 2002 11:38 PM ]

> Izzy Alcantara's name has come up... Alcantara should prove to be a terrible addition, so I hope they get him.

Lol. Funny you should mention Izzy. He was in the Red Sox farm system for some time and was making a big splash with his homeruns in AAA. However when he was called up to the Majors, he was quickly put into the 'doghouse' by then manager, Jimmy Williams, for lack of hustle fielding balls and cost us a game. He was called up and demoted a few times, but never really made it and was eventually let go by the Sox.

I'm not sure how he'll translate hitting in Japan though, but it should be fun to see. I like how you're anti-Giants just like me being anti-Yankees, Garland-san.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.