Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koji Uehara

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Koji Uehara
Dear Mr. Commish,

I would like to comment and ask you a question regarding Tokyo Giants' starter Koji Uehara. This guy is awesome! He struck out Barry Bones 3 times and Jason Giambi 2 times in game one versus the MLB All-Stars. Are you kidding me? Koji should be an ace of a staff in a Major League team right now. No one can do what he just did against two of the most juiced up major league ball players.

Why does he have to wait another five years for free agency? What can't he just retire like Hideo Nomo and sign with a Major league team? A lot of Major League teams are looking for quality pitching like Koji, so send him over here.

Thanks for your time.
Comments
Re: Koji Uehara
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Nov 12, 2002 9:46 AM ]

Say, Westbay-san, I think we have another question for the FAQ!

Chiroman, Uehara cannot retire and sign with an MLB team. MLB teams have agreed to honor all NPB contracts, including their reserve clause. If Uehara retired before gaining free agency, he could not sign with an American team because Yomiuri would still own his rights.

That loophole was closed a while back ago, either after Nomo left or after Irabu left, I'm not exactly sure which.
Re: Koji Uehara
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 12, 2002 9:47 AM | HT Fan ]

Well, he might be, interested, but the "just retire" option isn't available anymore.

Personally I'd like to see him go. Without Matsui and Uehara, perhaps the Tigers might have a chance against Watanabe's Wallet.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.