Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

home runs vs. stadiums

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
home runs vs. stadiums
rithifruss-san (gaijinda at asia com) writes:

This is probably more of an opinion question than a simple answer question. I've noticed that the Pacific League is cranking out far more home runs (even after taking the fact that they started a little earlier) yet the Central League has all the littler stadiums, such as Hiroshima, Jingu, and Yokohama. In the Central League, the Tokyo Dome seems like an average place, but in the Pacific league, compared to all the deep major league size power alleys of every other stadium (Seibu Dome excluded), balls seem to launch out during Fighters games.

This is probably a question that opens a lot of doors because I remember Jim Allen's guide dealt quite a lot with this. I'm just wondering is Nakamura's 39 home runs is a greater feat than Matsui's 42 because of the smaller stadiums and friendly power alleys of the Tokyo Dome, or is it that players have adjusted to the stadiums and have built up their power in order to clear the fences?

Comments
Pitching
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 26, 2001 1:29 PM | YBS Fan ]

The most probable explaination I can think of is pitching.  As you pointed out, the Pacific League stadiums are all much larger, and generally with taller fences as well.  Yet balls are being cranked out at a record pace.  I think I read that Cabrera is on pace for 70!  (Not that he'll get enough good pitches to do it, but...)

I'm reading in the newspaper that a large majority of the home runs are off of sliders that hang out over the middle of the plate.  Matsuzaka's success the past couple of years with the slider has probably prompted other pitchers to try it, and they just haven't mastered it yet.

Also, for some time now, I've been thinking that the larger stadiums have gotten batters to improve their power to continue being home run threats.  Back in high school, I always played tennis better when the opponent was above my level.  The larget stadiums may be having a similar effect on batters.  After all, when Tokyo Dome opened in 1989 (I think?), all the "experts" proclaimed that it was the end of the long ball era.  Yet Mitchell hit a ball over the billboards in left field last night for a monster home run.  (He hit the ball too far for a new car.)

And that brings me to another hypothisis.  It seems to me that the balls carry better in the domed stadiums.  I doubt that it's air conditioning blowing the balls toward the stands.  The air pressure tends to be higher (especially in Tokyo Dome) to help hold the roof up - which is the opposite of Colorado's thin-air long balls.  So is the lack of wind a factor?  I don't know.

As you said, this opens up a lot more doors, raising more questions than answers.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.