Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Brazilians in NPB

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Brazilians in NPB
I noticed that two Brazilian kids of Japanese ancestry, Noberto Semanaka and Fumio Katayama, were drafted by Chunichi and Yakult respectively.

Interested as to whether there were other Brazilians in NPB, I trawled the archives of this site, and found threads like this one.

Can anyone tell me if there have been any Brazilians to really "make it" in NPB? Any 1-gun regulars? Any stars?
Comments
Re: Brazilians in NPB
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 13, 2002 10:46 PM | YBS Fan ]

I only know of four Brazillians in NPB:

I'm afraid that I only have 2002 data entered for Tamaki and Matsumoto, and they only played in 10 and 52 games respectively at 1-gun.

You'd done such good homework, I checked for past season data on each in my Record Books, but came up empty. It looks like this was both players' first year at 1-gun. Hopefully we'll see them some more.

Wish I had more info.

[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 14, 2002 9:28 AM | HT Fan ]

Tamaki is Brazilian? I didn't know that. Interesting.

Naturally I think of soccer when I think of Brazil, I didn't know they even played baseball there. Is it big?

Mind you, I suppose anywhere there's a decent sized ground and 18 people you can always play baseball. Possibly except in New Zealand. Ironically, softball is quite big in NZ - both the men's and women's teams have won the world championships on occasion - but baseball is alien.

NZ did, however, produce one baseball player. His name is Travis Wilson, and he was with the Braves' organisation last I heard, but has yet to make it to the top flight.
[ Author: Guest: Tominaga Dielle | Posted: Dec 17, 2002 1:29 AM ]

Mr Torakichi,

Brazilian Baseball is essential amateur. Our sport began among the Japanese descendents in the 30's. Today, everyone plays it in a very harmonious community. The CBBS - Brazilian Baseball and Softball Confederation, has about 50 teams affiliated.

My children play on the Guarulhos team, where Semanaka and Anderson Gomes played before. Another Brazilian from Guarulhos, Tiago Caldeira, made a tremendous job at 2002 Koshien; we heard he's also going to NPB.

Yakult of Brazil provides financial support to CBBS to maintain a great Baseball complex near S
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 17, 2002 9:36 AM | HT Fan ]

That's interesting. Thanks for that.

For an "amateur" sport, it seems that Brazilian baseball has produced a number of promising players.

Apparently Semanaka is a big hitter; I look forward to seeing what he can do in NPB.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 17, 2002 4:50 PM ]

The number one draft choice of the Chunichi Dragons, a kid named Matsuoka, is Brazilian-Japanese (already naturalized) as is Anderson Gomez, the 20 year old the Hawks signed this past year.
[ Author: Guest: Mariner Fan | Posted: Dec 17, 2002 5:14 PM ]

About 10 years ago there was a huge bidding war in MLB for a 16 year old Brazilian phenom pitcher named Jose Pett. The Toronto Blue Jays beat out the Atlanta Braves and signed Pett for a then record $700,000 bonus. Unfortunately, he never lived up to his hype and the Jays traded him to the Pirates in 1996. He bounced around the Pirate farm system 'til 1999, when he seemed to disappear off the face of the Earth. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Anyway, if he could have been a star, it would have been a huge boost to Brazilian baseball. He might have done for baseball what Gustavo Kuerten did for tennis in Brazil.
[ Author: Guest: Andre Tominaga Dielle | Posted: Dec 17, 2002 11:25 PM ]

Jose Pett returned to Brazil after a sequence of serious arm surgeries. He is completly out of the baseball world.

Henrique Shigeo Tamaki (Brazilian-Japanese descendants also have a Portuguese names) has been on the Carp's roster for a few years. I have a card and will post his last stats here as soon as possible.

Morioka (#1 draft pick - Dragons) was born in Brasilia DF, Brazil and returned with his parents to Nihon at 10 years of age. He never played baseball in Brazil.

Anderson Gomes was not reported to us to be naturalized. He is in our academy right now working with our coach, Orlando Santana, a famous Cuban ballplayer in the 70's and World Champion as a coach with the Brazilian boys (age 15-16).

Andre T. Dielle
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.