Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shane Spencer?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Shane Spencer?
Did Shane re-sign to play in Japan for next year? I have not been able to find any info on him. Is he going back to MLB?
Comments
Re: Shane Spencer?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 28, 2006 8:09 AM ]

Spencer will be back with the Tigers in 2006.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 28, 2006 9:35 AM | HAN Fan ]

He has been given another chance, but really has to hit the ground running this time and score runs. The Tigers were dissapointed with his production last season, and if he fails to improve he will be gone by Spring.
[ Author: Guest: Jim | Posted: Feb 1, 2006 12:26 PM ]

Was he signed to a contract? I thought I heard he was going back to MLB?
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 2, 2006 8:13 AM | HT Fan ]

- He has been given another chance, but really has to hit the ground running this time and score runs. The Tigers were dissapointed with his production last season...

I concur, but surely this shows some maturity on the part of the Tigers. In the past they wouldn't have re-signed a gaijin with his numbers.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 2, 2006 9:33 AM | HAN Fan ]

- [...] but surely this shows some maturity on the part of the Tigers. In the past they wouldn't have re-signed a gaijin with his numbers [...]

I totally agree. I also got the impression that, whilst he may have not put up the numbers, Spencer's attitude was a lot better than many gaijin players, and this helped.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 2, 2006 11:37 PM | HT Fan ]

- Spencer's attitude was a lot better than many gaijin players, and this helped.

Sure, although a good attitude hasn't always helped Hanshin players. I still remember the raw deal they gave Mark Johnson back in '99. I know he worked extremely hard and he told me that he was very disappointed not to be asked back for the 2000 season. Mike Blowers was the problem gaijin that year; Johnson should have been retained.
[ Author: Guest: Jake | Posted: Feb 3, 2006 2:19 PM ]

Apparently Shane showed up in great shape, having packed on about 20 lbs. of muscle. Maybe we will see the Shane that became famous in his rookie year for the Yanks with his ridiculous home run streak.
[ Author: Guest: Shinigami | Posted: Feb 3, 2006 6:02 PM ]

From yesterday's Yahoo! Sports (SanSpo), I saw that they're talking about Hamanaka Osamu finally recovering from his arm problems, and there's a chance that Okada will start him at right batting in the no. 3 spot. If that's the case, then both Hiyama and Spencer will get less a role to show themselves.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 3, 2006 11:43 PM | CLM Fan ]

The press is all on Hamanaka's jock this year, and unless he injures that glass shoulder of his, Spencer may be in trouble. Hamanaka is a better marketing gimmick for Hanshin and their rabid fans. He has to be the most loved bench warming 1 HR in a season batter ever. Hamanaka has had his chance to prove himself. I say unless he puts up superstar numbers and defense in April, Spencer should have a shot at being a regular. If he gets his act together, he could be a legit 30-40 homerun batter. Hamanaka could also become that, but Spencer has the better odds at this point.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Feb 4, 2006 7:00 AM | TYS Fan ]

- Hamanaka is a better marketing gimmick for Hanshin and their rabid fans. He has to be the most loved bench warming 1 HR in a season batter ever. Hamanaka has had his chance to prove himself.

I think you're seriously underrating him. His last year as a regular he hit .301/.356/.511 with 18 HR; he slugged .523 the next year, then, despite injuries and limited opportunities, he had a 736 OPS last year, better than Spencer. If he's fully recovered, he deserves a shot. He certainly hasn't been bad enough to deserve the harsh language above.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 4, 2006 10:21 AM | HAN Fan ]

Hanshin's right field options are quite crowded. They have Spencer, Hamanaka, Wei-Tsu(?), and Hiyama. Of these Spencer and Hamanaka are on their last chance. Hamanaka in particular has been a frustrating player. He has never fulfilled his potential and last season was disappointing. If Okada thinks that he will be able to fulfill his potential this year then I will go along with that. However, if he fails again I don't think he should be retained.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Feb 4, 2006 4:50 PM | HT Fan ]

- Hanshin's right field options are quite crowded.

But this has got to be good for the team. The competition will bring out the best in each of these players, and I think Okada must be licking his lips at the thought of having so many talented players waiting in the wings. It could again make the difference late in the season.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Feb 4, 2006 6:44 PM | CLM Fan ]

I'm a Hamanaka fan. I just think his shoulder needs to be 100% and not a liability if he's going to play a position like right field. We'll see soon enough. If all he can do is bat anymore, then it's probably in his best interest to go to the Pacific League. The Marines could use him in case Val Pascucci doesn't pan out.
[ Author: Guest: Lou | Posted: Feb 22, 2006 2:03 AM ]

Where does Shane fit into Hanshin's plans? Seems like the outfield is over crowded. Is he on a guaranteed contract for this year?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Feb 25, 2006 4:12 PM | HT Fan ]

I notice that Lin Wei-Tsu is playing left field in today's pre-season game against Orix. In the last few seasons, that would be a death sentence, because the incumbent is "Iron Man" Kanemoto, who literally never misses a game (or inning).

Perhaps Hanshin is looking to change its policy with Kanemoto, who's in the twilight of his career (albeit a fairly stellar twilight) and develop someone to take over from him when he retires. Certainly a youngster like Lin with a long career ahead of him would be a good candidate, but going by the practices of the past few seasons (in which Kanemoto has just played through his injuries), that would mean Lin will get no game time at all.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 26, 2006 10:30 AM | HAN Fan ]

Lin is more likely to play right field in rotation with Hamanaka. Hamanaka has looked good but there are still doubts. Furthermore, the Tigers want to be able to ring the changes in right field for left or right handed starters.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Mar 2, 2006 1:52 PM ]

Spencer will now miss the season-opener against Yakult, March 31st. [Full Japan Ball Story]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.