Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

NPB Spring Training?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
NPB Spring Training?
Do all the teams head to Okinawa by February 1st or do they start at home and then move? I imagine it would be too cold in Tokyo for the Swallows to practice outside at Jingu Stadium, and likewise for the Tigers at Koshien in February.
Comments
Re: NPB Spring Training?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jan 29, 2006 6:31 PM | HT Fan ]

Not all of them go to Okinawa, but they generally head to warmer climes for a spell.

<aside>
In industry-starved Okinawa, visits by major baseball teams in Spring is a welcome form of income for local municipalities. Some go into debt to raise the funds to set up pro-grade baseball facilities, but other localities in the area work hard to attract teams to their village/town at the expense of the original hosts. Apparently it's quite the battle between local governments to attract baseball to their territories, because not only do the teams represent a sizeable contingent of people spending money in the area, they also bring with them a large following of fans, who also spend their spare cash.

This time last year, I took a holiday to Okinawa to escape the stresses of work. I was pleasantly surprised to find a room free at the hotel where my beloved Tigers were staying. I arrived, checked in, and asked where the Hanshin players were hanging out, only to be told that they had checked out and gone back to Nishinomiya that very morning.
</aside>
[ Author: MWJR86 | Posted: Jan 29, 2006 10:36 PM | TYS Fan ]

So have the teams decided where and when they are going for this Spring?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 30, 2006 12:18 PM | HAN Fan ]

You can find a complete list of Spring training camps on the Japan Times website (I'm assuming you want English) in Wayne Gracyzk's most recent article.
[ Author: Guest: Morgan | Posted: Feb 20, 2006 1:17 PM ]

I'm very interested in finding this article, but can't seem to locate it on the Japan Times' site. Do you have any further info about it? Maybe the exact date it was published or the title? Thank you for your help!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.