Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fukuoka Daiei?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Fukuoka Daiei?
While looking over Brian Banks' career history, I noticed that in 2000 he was listed as having played in Japan for Fukuoka Daiei. Does anybody know anything about this team or how Banks performed while he was in Japan?
Comments
Hawks' Brian Banks
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 23, 2003 11:39 PM | YBS Fan ]

Hmm. Since I don't see him on my 2000 Fukuoka Daiei Hawks' roster, he must have joined mid-season.

Looking through old Record Books, it looks like he only played in 32 games for the top club, going 11 for 74 (.149) with no home runs and 4 RBIs. Banks played first base for 17 games, filled in at second for at least part of 1 game, was at third for 5 games, and even played in the outfield for 5 games. Looks like he was used as a utility man (or there weren't any regular openings for him).

At ni-gun (the farm team), he did a little better, playing in 48 games, going 42 for 157 (.268) with 7 home runs and 29 RBIs. But that's not high enough to get a call up, I'm afraid.

That's pretty much all I have on him. Sorry if it's a little lacking, and not exactly what you were looking for.

As for the team, they won their second consecutive Pacific League pennant in 2000, but lost the Nihon Series to the mighty Yomiuri Giants.
Re: Hawks' Brian Banks
[ Author: Guest: Derek in Tucson | Posted: Jan 24, 2003 9:29 AM ]

Just wanted to say thanks for the information. It's tough to find this kind of info over here in the US, but thanks to your efforts I know I have a place to turn to. Great site!

FWIW, it looks like Brian Banks is going to be the 4th outfielder for the Florida Marlins this coming season after having a good year in the AAA Pacific Coast League at Calgary. He hit .310 with a .410 OBP and had 19 HR with 89 RBI in 2002 before getting a late season callup to the Marlins. With Kevin Millar being sold to the Chunichi Dragons, Banks has an opportunity in MLB.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.