Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Decrease in Games Played?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Decrease in Games Played?
Hey all -

Is there any reason for the decrease in number of games played for 2005 that you can think of? Is it just league consolidation?

Thanks,
Ben
Comments
Re: Decrease in Games Played?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 23, 2006 2:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Pacific League instituted a playoff system in 2004, so they reduced the number of regular season games then. However, Inter-league games caused the number of games to increase in 2005 for the Pacific League from 133 (should have been 135) to 136, so I'm not sure that this is what you're referring to.

Furthermore, the Central League had 140 games scheduled a year from 2001 to 2004 (lost two games in 2004 due to the player strike). But the total number of games actually increased to 146 games in 2005 with the introduction of inter-league play. So again, I'm not sure what decrease it is that you're referring to.

Can you site the source that said that there was a decrease in games in 2005?
Re: Decrease in Games Played?
[ Author: Allaire-yakyu | Posted: Mar 26, 2006 6:10 AM ]

Hi,

Yeah I downloaded the data from Jim Albright's site and calculated the avg. number of games for those players who played 10 games or more. I got 58 for 2005, 61 for 2003, and 65 for 2004. It's not just that either, at bats are down too for those years 133, 157, 171. The highs for those stats were basically 1998 when the avg. number of games was 81 and at-bats were 225.

So, perhaps this is just because of the playoffs in the data?

Ben

[by Admin: You had 2005 twice for averages, I changed the third average to 2004 which would fit what you said - that there was a decrease. I assume that at bats are respective of 2005, 2003, and 2004.]
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.