Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shane Spencer

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Shane Spencer
Is Shane Spencer still playing for the hanshin tigers?
Comments
Re: Shane Spencer
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 7, 2006 12:43 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes he is but his days are probably numbered.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Apr 11, 2006 11:18 PM ]

When is he expected back from his injury? Starting on the disabled list and with Hamanaka off to the start he is, it does seem that his days might be numbered.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 8:02 AM | YBS Fan ]

Spencer says that his ankle is 100% and he's ready to play. He's been reactivated and is reported (by Nikkan Sports) to be in the starting lineup tonight (April 12) to face Yamamoto Masahiro, whom Spencer has a 5 for 12 lifetime record against.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:35 AM ]

Who was deactivated to make way for Spencer? I heard it was Kataoka, can someone confirm?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 12:10 PM | HAN Fan ]

Yes that's correct - they swapped places and Kataoka is now in the farm team.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 6:49 PM | HT Fan ]

I'm just looking at the game at the moment and it appears Spencer is starting on the bench. So he may not even get a chance to face Yamamoto tonight. With Hamanaka comntinuing to hit well they'll probably bring him on to pinch hit in the later innings - unless they knock Yamamoto out early, which I hope they'll do.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 9:49 PM | HAN Fan ]

They did (Yamamoto) - it didn't work. Spencer struck out to end the game but after the 6th innings I don't think the Tigers hit.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 12, 2006 10:17 PM | HT Fan ]

That's right - I don't blame Spencer for striking out at that stage. He had a few good cuts, but the Dragons bullpen had the upper hand tonight.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 10:24 AM ]

Not to mention the Tigers bullpen stinking it up as well. Fujikawa still hasnt got it together this year. Classic Tigers blowing a game when they lead 5-0 in the 6th!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 8:54 PM | HT Fan ]

And they appear to be just as atrocious tonight as well. Did you see Nohmi lose the lead the way he did?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 9:04 PM | HAN Fan ]

I think it ranks with Igawa's disasters against the Dragons last year.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 9:25 PM | HAN Fan ]

A complete mess - with a series of dubious calls in favour of the Dragons and an abysmal pitching display.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 13, 2006 11:56 PM | HT Fan ]

...a series of dubious calls in favour of the Dragons...

Although I thought generally the Tigers did get the benefit of a generous strike zone. But from the TV it's sometimes hard to tell.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 8:39 AM ]

Yeah, the bullpen has been abysmal. Anyone know the timetable for Williams' return? Fujikawa doesn't have it together yet, so they'll benefit from another set-up man. I don't have much confidence in Nohmi. He looks like a 15-year-old on the mound.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 14, 2006 9:00 AM | HAN Fan ]

Williams is saying he should be back on 1st June. I agree with you on Nohmi - at the moment it doesn't look like he can be used anywhere. However, it's still early in the season - he may improve.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 19, 2006 11:35 PM ]

Is Shane still on the Roster? Looks like he is not getting any AB's.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Apr 20, 2006 8:07 PM ]

As far as I know, he's still on the roster. The problem is that last year he alternated with Hiyama based on pitching match-ups, but with Hamanaka off to his freakish start, I don't envision many ABs in Spencer's future.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 23, 2006 11:04 AM | HAN Fan ]

Shane Spencer is being used as a pinch hitter at the moment. He played in last night's game against the Giants but struck out in his only at bat.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.