Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Gaijin Rule in Pre-season

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Gaijin Rule in Pre-season
Keeping up with my beloved Hawks, I noticed that they had three gaijin in the lineup today: Nelson, Valdez, and Chin. Do you (or anyone) know if the rule has changed, or if it just doesn't matter in the open-sen (preseason)?

Also, I noticed that Hiroki Kokubo is out for 3 months and will need surgery. So much for taking it easy, because I've seen news on several major injuries and the season hasn't started yet.
Comments
Re: Gaijin Rule in Pre-season
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 7, 2003 11:58 PM | YBS Fan ]

The foreign player limit was upped to "up to 3 on the field at a given time" last season. The proposal was first mentioned in August of 2001, then the BayStars actually had three foreign batters in their lineup on June 7, 2002.

Not many teams have taken advantage of this new rule yet, fielding a ballance of two foreigners on the mound and with a bat. After all, with the current setup, you couldn't then put a foreign pitcher on the mound to close without removing one of your foreign fielders. (I wonder if the DH enters into the equation.) I may have missed a further change in the rules this off season to allow 1 pitcher and 3 fielders to be suketto, but we'll have to wait until some team tries it.

To answer the question, no, it's not a special pre-season rule. It's been legal to have three foreign bats in the lineup since the 2002 season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.