Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Richard Hidalgo?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Richard Hidalgo?
Does anybody know if Richard Hidalgo will finally join NPB and where?
Comments
Re: Richard Hidalgo?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Apr 30, 2006 12:39 AM | SFT Fan ]

After the Orioles released Hidalgo there was some talk of Hidalgo signing with a Japanese team, but that talk never materialized or was just talk by an agent. Though, Hidalgo was let go by the Orioles to deal with family matters.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: May 3, 2006 6:17 AM ]

He is really an awful ballplayer. I don't think any NPB team would want him.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: May 8, 2006 10:32 PM ]

Are you the former Met's first baseman who played in the 1969 and 1973 World Series? If you are the same Ed Kranepool, my best greetings and regards. I am a Venezuelan, and the Mets were very popular in our country in Kranepool times. My grandfather and me rooted for Stengel guys, in spite of being Dodger's fans. Kranepool was a good player, with good hands and a decent player, good in clutch situations, a really Gil Hodges' favorite. Kranepool signed at 17 years-old and played for 18 years.

With respect to Richard Hidalgo, he is not an awful player: He's a great fielder, with a cannon arm, with a lot of power. He was an excellent hitter, but he has [... The rest of this message is missing. It was not cut.]
[ Author: Guest: Rob | Posted: May 24, 2006 12:11 AM ]

The rumors in the New York papers are that Hidalgo may be signed to a minor league deal by the Yankees.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: May 25, 2006 1:43 AM | SFT Fan ]

With all the injuries to their outfield it wouldn't be a shock right now. Terrence Long is with the Yankees right now.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: May 27, 2006 1:35 AM ]

I'll back up the person who said Hidalgo was a good player. He has averaged .269/.345/.490 with 28 big flies and 92 RBIs a season since 1997, however he was injured or just plain lousy last season, and a little subpar in 2004 as well. However, he's only 31. He's a lot better than Karl Rhodes or Roberto Petagine. He's hit 40+ here before, not just 3 on opening day.

- Hidalgo struggled with the Texas Rangers last season, batting just .221 with 16 homers and 43 RBI in 88 games. He suffered a left wrist injury in early August and was sidelined for the remainder of the campaign. - ESPN

So it was partially injury? Mind you, that's .249, 25 homers translated, (guesstimate), perhaps 35+ over a full season.

Expect the Yankees to get him though, they really, really need a home run bat in the outfield, even if it cost a .300 OBP, or worse.

Japanese teams could do a lot worse than sign Hidalgo, unless his wrist is hanging by a string or something.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.