Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Inter-League DH Usage?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Inter-League DH Usage?
Why is it that for some of the inter-league games there were DHs and for others it was just the pitcher? Just wondering how the teams decided. For example Hanshin played with a DH against Rakuten (err, which personally I think didn't make a difference on the scoreline), but with Nippon Ham, Lotte, etc., it was the pitcher instead.

Would appreciate if anyone knew how it was decided - by team, or by match-up?
Comments
Re: Inter-League DH Usage?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 21, 2006 11:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

Look at the matchups and you'll notice that when a Central League team was at home (including 3rd party stadiums), the pitcher hit for himself. When the Pacific League was hosting, the DH rule was in play.

It was as simple as that.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jun 22, 2006 11:33 AM | HT Fan ]

Yes, that's the same as in the majors, isn't it? And for playoffs in both countries. I believe it's fairly standard procedure.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Jun 23, 2006 2:31 AM | SFT Fan ]

- ... that's the same as in the majors, isn't it? And for playoffs in both countries. I believe it's fairly standard procedure.

That's correct. Like the Central League, the National League has no DH. Like the Pacific League, the American League has a DH. Like, above it's very simple.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.