Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nichi-Bei Stats?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Nichi-Bei Stats?
I would like to know if there are stats for Japanese players vs. Major Leaguers from the all-star tours. I have some numbers (Kaneda dueling Whitey Ford to a 1-1 tie in 1955 and striking out Mantle 4 times), but I was wondering if there is more detailed data?
Comments
Re: Nichi-Bei Stats?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 16, 2006 4:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've got all of the line scores for all the games from 1931 to 2002 in the 2004 Nichi-Bei program. It has both batting and pitching totals from 1934 on.

The 1955 Yankee tour you mention shows that Mantel struck out just 4 times in the 7 games he played in, while batting .333 in the Series.

The only game that was a 1-1 tie that year was the third game of the series. Ford started, but Lawsen (sp?) and Constantie (sp?) both worked in relief over the 10 inning tied game. Furthermore, Kaneda was the last of four Japanese pitchers to throw in that game, so I doubt that he was responsible for striking Mantel out all four times in the series in that one game. (He may have struck him out 4 times over several games, but I don't have that detailed of data.)

MLB.com has a history of Major League Tours of Japan that might have more detailed information. They have the 2004 box scores at least.
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:34 PM | HT Fan ]

Those NY Yankee relief pitchers would be, I believe, Don Larsen (of World Series perfect game fame) and Jim Konstanty. But I do not have my baseball books at hand so someone please double-check those spellings as well.
[ Author: Guest: Jim A | Posted: Aug 16, 2006 10:57 PM ]

Just guesses, but I'd think the other pitcher names might be Larsen and Konstanty. They were major leaguers around that time. Larsen pitched a perfect game in the 1956 (?) World Series, and Konstanty was the relief ace for the Philadelphia Phillies in their 1950 pennant season.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: Michael Eng | Posted: Aug 17, 2006 2:08 PM ]

Westbay-san,

Do you know where I could obtain that book? Could you post the title and/or ISBN number?

Thanks.
Michael Eng
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 17, 2006 3:27 PM | YBS Fan ]

The title is "日米野球交流史", published by Baseball Magazine Sha in 2004. ISBN 4-583-61297-4.

Good luck in finding it. I couldn't find it on their baseball related magazine/mook site. They used to have a good back-issues page, but it looks like they've out-sourced their product sales.

It's good to hear from you again. It's been a while.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.