Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Pro Yakyu Goods in Tokyo Department Stores?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Pro Yakyu Goods in Tokyo Department Stores?
The FAQ on buying Japanese yakyu goods did not mention retailers in Japan. Do the huge department stores carry caps and jerseys? Sporting goods stores? Any ideas? The selection at Jingu is very poor.

Arigato!
Comments
Re: Pro Yakyu Goods in Tokyo Department Stores?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Sep 28, 2006 8:23 AM | NIP Fan ]

Have you tried the shop at the Tokyo Dome, "To : Do"? They have a wide variety of goods from all 12 teams, though their largest selection is, of course, Giants stuff (and there's an Adidas store next to it that only sells Giants clothes).

Which team are you looking for stuff from? I actually thought the amount of goods they were selling at Jingu before/after games, of Swallows stuff at least, was pretty impressive.
[ Author: Guest: Steve Holmes | Posted: Sep 28, 2006 9:46 AM ]

Arigato to you all! No, I have not tried the Dome yet. I plan to get to my first game there Saturday. The selection of goods at Jingu was not bad, I guess. They only had a few caps, and that's what I'm mainly in the market for, having read in another thread that I'm unlikely to find a jersey that fits a guy who's 6' 1 1/2" and weighs 225 pounds.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 28, 2006 8:40 AM | YBS Fan ]

The best place in Tokyo would probably be the shops around Tokyo Dome. They have goods for all of the teams there.

The Seibu department store at Ikebukuro used to have a huge Lions goods section. I haven't been to Ikebukuro since the mid-1990s, so I can't say for sure what kind of selection they have now. (This lack of travel north of Shinjuku in western Tokyo is a major reason I find Seibu Dome so inconvenient.)

Other department stores will generally have a cap section, but if you can find something more than the Yankees and Yomiuri Giants caps, consider yourself lucky.

Sporting goods stores, at least in Yokohama, tend to only have goods for playing baseball (creating your own uniforms, caps, etc.), not so much for cheering for it. They do often have professional teams' caps, but not necessarily all of the teams.

You'll find a number of threads about how NPB teams fail the marketing game. Those are mostly complaints about the Tokyo area teams. The lack of goods at easily accessible department stores is one of the major symptoms.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Sep 28, 2006 9:04 AM | NIP Fan ]

Oh, I went to the Seibu department store in Ikebukuro just a few weeks ago, and they had a tiny Lions goods section. If you didn't know it was there, you could easily walk by it and not even notice. A few shirts, a few hats, a flag or two, and that was about it. Nothing from any other teams, either.

The Parco department store in Ikebukuro had some baseball goods on their sporting goods floor, but it was all MLB. The funny part was that I was there looking for NPB baseball cards, and was sort of surprised to see a place that only sold import cards and goods.

(Also strange to me is that the Tobu department store is on the west side of the station, and the Seibu department store is on the east side of the station, but that's another story.)
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 28, 2006 11:29 AM | HAN Fan ]

Depends what you want. Each stadium (Tokyo Dome, Jingu, Yokohama, Seibu) has a limited selection of goods at several shops. Other locations are in Shinjuku and Tokyo. There is a Hiroshima shop which also stocks Carp goods. This is located at the bottom of a footbridge which leads to the Odakyu Department store at Shinjuku Station (southern exit). Tokyo station has a "giosk" (a Giants kiosk) in the station which sells Giants goods, but not a big range. The area around Tokyo Dome has shops which sell team goods, and these are quite reasonable.

The only really organized team is Hanshin. They have dedicated shops all over the country (Hiroshima, Kobe, Kyoto, Yokohama, etc.). Tokyo is the Keio department store in Shinjuku. Private sports shops also carry team goods, but Mijow (who contributes to this site) can tell you more about these.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 28, 2006 10:40 PM | HT Fan ]

- Private sports shops also carry team goods, but Mijow (who contributes to this site) can tell you more about these.

Not in Tokyo, sorry.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.