Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Denny, Tomori Yui

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Denny, Tomori Yui
Kind of a silly question here...

I was flipping through the Shukan Besuboru Meikan today, and I noticed that Yokohama BayStars' pitcher Denny's real name is Tomori Yui. Anyone know where the "Denny" nickname comes from? I've always wondered about it, every time I see him in a game.

Thanks in advance.
Comments
Re: Denny, Tomori Yui
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 5, 2003 11:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

Like many of the ball players from Okinawa, I believe that his father was U.S. military. What I'm not sure about is whether that was his father's last name or Denny's middle and/or nick-name. (Japanese don't tend to have middle names.)

By the way, you'll find his listed with the registered name of "Denny" on my BayStars' team page, but as "Yui Tomori" on his player profile page. ShuBe's Player Meikan was my main source.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 12:11 AM | HT Fan ]

Thanks, Westbay-san. I was looking in your direction with this question. I noticed that he was from Okinawa, and I kind of figured that one of his parents was military.

By the way, I'd like to take this time to thank you for maintaining this site. It's my absolute favourite on the Internet. Thanks!
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 8:52 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thanks. Just keep in mind, my answer is third hand information at best, probably originated by someone who thought the same thing about Okinawan ball players. It's not fit to quote in the press. (Although, judging by what's been printed about Japanese baseball the past few years, the mainstream press isn't too concerned about accuracy.)
[ Author: Guest: nanasi | Posted: Jun 6, 2003 8:53 PM ]

It's a known fact that Tomori's father was an American serviceman. So was the father of Irabu.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jun 7, 2003 10:11 AM | HAN Fan ]

... and Kinugasa
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 29, 2003 1:50 PM ]

Denny was his father's last name.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Sep 30, 2003 10:36 AM ]

"Denney" (spelled with 2 'E's) Tomori decided to change his player registration name from Tomori Yu to Denney Tomori back in the late 1990s when he was still with the BayStars. He then had a few excellent seasons with the Lions after going over to Seibu in a trade.

The reason why he goes by "Denney" is because he has never met his father, a U.S. serviceman. Just like Sachio Kinugasa, he has hopes of someday meeting his father, and that's why he decided to have "Denney" stitched on the back of his uniform. He thought that by doing that, then he could catch the attention of his father, wherever he might be.

As far as I know, he still has not met his father.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.