Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Customized Yomiuri Giants Jersey?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Customized Yomiuri Giants Jersey?
Do they sell customized Yomiuri Giants Jerseys? I want to buy one with my own name and number. If so, how much do they cost?
Comments
Re: Customized Yomiuri Giants Jersey?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 13, 2006 2:35 PM | NIP Fan ]

Try looking at the jersey selection on YakyuShop. They do that sort of thing.
[ Author: goon31 | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 12:21 PM ]

At the Yakyu Shop many of the jerseys are described as being, "faux button down." I contacted Yakyu directly about this asking if this simply meant that there are no buttons on the jersey, or are the buttons on the jersey are not functional? The person on the phone said yes, but it didn't seem like they were following what I was saying.

I was looking at the older Hawks jersey, hopefully I was going to get it personalized with "Iguchi" on the back, but I'm not so sure if I want to spend 90 bucks on a jersey that doesn't have buttons.

I'm just curious if anyone has bought this jersey or any other with the "faux button down" description and if the buttons are functional. Thank you.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 4:26 PM | CLM Fan ]

I got an old school Hawks Iguchi jersey through them. It's like a t-shirt made of mesh with faux buttons. I don't advise buying it. It's pretty shoddy quality.
[ Author: Heian-794 | Posted: Oct 31, 2006 11:47 PM | HT Fan ]

It depends on whether you're buying the "replica" jersey, which costs between 3,000 and 5,000 yen plus more for the numbering, or the "pro collection" jersey (25,000 yen and up) which is made of space-age materials and is exactly what the players on the field wear. Needless to say, the pro collection one is perfect in every regard.

The quality of the replicas varies from team to team. The Buffaloes used to have really good blank replica shirts (just Y3,200!), but the pre-lettered ones were shoddy. Some teams (the Eagles and the Dragons come to mind) don't even make road replicas; they put different words on them, making them worthless if you're a purist. No idea why they would do this.

If you don't care what number you have, and don't mind something really outlandish (like, say, 370 or 4137), you might want to look into the "I Am Giants" campaign here [Giants Official Site]. No idea if they'll run it again in 2007, but the deal was that for Y25,000, you got a Giants jersey with your own number, assigned by the team, on it. Manager Tatsunori Hara came up with the idea, which made fans (well, some of the richer ones, anyway) feel like they were part of the team.
[ Author: Guest: YakyuShop | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 1:07 AM ]

I just thought I'd respond to some of the comments on this thread to clarify a few things.

We've just posted an explanation on our FAQ page regarding faux button down jerseys:
Some replica jerseys are described as faux button down, which means that the buttons are on the front of the jersey, but they are just for show, and the jersey is essentially a pullover. Unfortunately we have no control over this - we sell whatever the teams make available.
Hope that provides some clarification.

Regarding BigManZam's comment, we are always keen to receive feedback from our customers. BMZ, I'm not sure how long ago you ordered from us, but if you're not happy, just drop us an e-mail and we'll see what we can do about fixing the problem. Although we don't have any control over the quality of the jerseys, if the embroidery on the name/number was not up to scratch we would like to know about it.

So don't be shy - tell us what you think!
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 1, 2006 5:01 AM ]

Thanks bigman. That sucks because I'm a big fan of the White Sox. I'd love to get that Iguchi jersey, but if it's like you say it is, meh. Looks like I'll just be ordering the Fighters jersey.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.