Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Who is this Pitcher?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Who is this Pitcher?
Please refer to this video on YouTube. Number 20 from Yakult Swallows. His breaking pitch is amazing!
Comments
Re: Who is this Pitcher?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 17, 2006 5:32 PM | YBS Fan ]

Yuuya Kamada has worn #20 for Yakult since 2001. I'm not familiar with him myself, so I can't say for sure that this isn't an older video. But I don't think that the Giant batting was from 2006. I'll need some more time to study it.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Nov 17, 2006 8:56 PM | HT Fan ]

That's Tomohito Itoh, who actually wore #21. The Giants uniforms have "Tokyo" on the front, so the clip is definitely pre-2002, which is when the Giants changed their road uniforms to "Yomiuri."
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Nov 17, 2006 8:49 PM | HT Fan ]

Mmmm... the batter is Shinji Inoue, #52 for the Giants, who played between 1985 and 1998. This rather unofficial-looking site, shows that in those years, #20 for the Swallows were Shigeki Nakamoto (up to 1992), Tomohito Itoh (1992 - 1998), Jason Jacome (1999 - 2000), and Yuya Kamada.

This Japanese Wikipedia article contains a passage that translates as:
Incredible rookie
In 1993, Itoh had a stellar debut season, using his dynamic, MLB-like form to unleash a top-notch combination of 150km/h fastballs and 140+km sliders that bent at right angles and were known as the best in baseball. He racked up 16 Ks in one game, and finished the first half of the season with brilliant figures: 7-2 with an RBI of 0.91.
So it could be him. The name on his jersey is unclear, but it looks not unlike "T. ITOH."
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 17, 2006 10:01 PM | CLM Fan ]

It's Itoh. He has a bunch of videos up on YouTube right now.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.