Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Why did Hosey leave the Swallows?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Why did Hosey leave the Swallows?
Hi, I'm just curious why did the 1997 home run king, Hosey, of the Swallows leave the team, and what has happened of him until now?
Comments
Re: Why did Hosey leave the Swallows?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 11, 2003 9:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've entered Hosey's data to his profile page, and I think that it will answer your question. His salary jumped from 5,000-man yen to 1.3-oku yen, while runs scored dropped from 101 to 35, home runs down from 38 to 13, RBIs down from 100 to 42. While Hosey was overwhelmingly popular in 1997, his 1998 was just too big a disappointment for Yakult to resign him.
Re: Why did Hosey Leave the Swallows?
[ Author: Guest: bAseBalLfanAtIC7 | Posted: Jan 12, 2005 2:36 PM ]

Dwayne Hosey is currently a baseball coach back in America, In Nebraska. He contunues to play against local high schools on his store's team, Strike Zone.
[ Author: IloveJingu | Posted: Jan 14, 2005 7:02 AM ]

Westbaystars is right in his analysis. The Swaloows didn't want to keep paying the money.

I knew Dwayne while we were both in Japan and I know he wanted to continue playing in Japan. He had a knee injury that was bothering him the last half of the 1998 season and had it scoped after the season was over. I always thought that one of the Pacific League teams that had trouble drawing fans, such as the Fighters in the Dome or the Marines in Chiba, missed a bet in not bringing Hosey back to Japan after his knee healed. He was a marketing dream and the fans loved him.

Last time I saw him, he was playing for Bridgeport in the independent Atlantic League. Where in Nebraska is he and is Strike Zone his store?
[ Author: Guest: Coach | Posted: Feb 1, 2005 2:07 PM ]

Hosey gives private lessons in between playing catch with his 4 year old at the Strike Zone in Omaha Nebraska. He is a wonderful teacher and the kids in Nebraska love him. Many of his players will be the hitting leaders in high schools across Nebraska.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.