Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Players Who've Switched From NPB to MLB

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Players Who've Switched From NPB to MLB
Is there a website that accurately lists the players who have played in Japan and then switched to MLB? Thanks for any guidance you can offer.
Comments
Re: Players Who've Switched From NPB to MLB
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Feb 1, 2007 8:51 AM | NIP Fan ]

Is there a project you're working on in particular? I can sense that all of your questions in the last few weeks are leading to some NPB-MLB projection system, but it might help if you actually come out and say exactly all the input data you need for it are.

Anyway, this particular question has several parameters I'm unclear on: one, do you need the information in English or in Japanese, and two, what level do you want to know about? MLB at the major or minor league level? NPB at the top or farm team level? Or elsewhere in Japan? (College, high school, etc. - ie, are you counting guys like Kazuhito Tadano or Mac Suzuki? What about weird cases like Ryohei Shimabukuro?)
[ Author: ulysses919 | Posted: Feb 2, 2007 1:46 AM ]

Thanks for your response. That's actually a good summation of what I'm working on. I'm really only interested in players who've played at the major league level in each league. I'm looking for guys who've played at least three years in NPB, then switched to MLB. I'd prefer the information in English, but I can read katakana, hiragana, and some kanji as well. Do you know if such a website exists?

I apologize for asking so many questions; this is a work in progress and I'm realizing things as I get further along with this project.

Thanks again for your help.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 2, 2007 9:42 PM | YBS Fan ]

JapaneseBallplayers.com is probably what you're looking for. There are a few others you might be interested in in this thread as well.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: Feb 3, 2007 2:31 PM ]

Don't forget Ty Van Burkleo, Robinson Checo, Timo Perez, and Alfonso Soriano. They all spent 3 or more years in NPB without MLB experience before making the big leagues. Soriano played mostly on Hiroshima's farm team though.
[ Author: ulysses919 | Posted: Feb 4, 2007 4:55 AM ]

Thank you all very much for your guidance here. It's greatly appreciated!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.