Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Baseball Culture

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Baseball Culture
In America, baseball is commonly referred to as our "past time." I know that baseball is widely accepted and very popular in Japan, and I wanted to understand more about what baseball means to Japanese. Are there any insights you could give to what baseball means culturally to the Japanese?
Comments
Re: Baseball Culture
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Apr 7, 2007 8:50 AM | SFT Fan ]

Gary Garland answers a lot of your questions in his So You Want To Play in Japan topic over at Japan Baseball Daily.
Re: Baseball Culture
[ Author: snow_cow | Posted: Apr 10, 2007 10:30 AM | CLM Fan ]

Baseball has a tremendous cultural significance in Japan. One specific example of this is the annual Koshien tournament, a national high school baseball tournament where over 4,000 schools from all over Japan compete to find one champion. Children grow up in Japan dreaming of playing in the tournament, and high school teams often practice 6 hours a day, 6 days in week all year in preparation. The tournament itself is quite popular and 50,000 spectators fill Koshien stadium to watch the finals.

I highly recommend watching the documentary "Kokoyakyu: High School Baseball" which can be found on YouTube, just search "Koshien Documentary" and it should come up. That should give you some insight into what baseball means culturally to the Japanese.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.