Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Affiliation with Japanese Leagues

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Affiliation with Japanese Leagues
Michael,

As an expert in Japanese baseball, I would love to have your thoughts on the viability of affiliating an independent U.S. baseball league with the Japanese Leagues. Do you think the Japanese Leagues would consider such an idea? Basically, having some players in the U.S. to expand their image. I know they have had affiliations with one or two California League teams (Lodi) in the past.

I am the Commissioner and CEO of the Golden Baseball League, a new independent League in California.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave Kaval
The Golden Baseball League
Comments
Re: Affiliation with Japanese Leagues
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 3, 2003 8:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

Several of the Japanese teams already have affiliations with Major Leagues teams. The (Yomiuri) Giants and Yankees have a working agreement, as do the Buffaloes and Dodgers, and Swallows and Indians off the top of my head. The Hiroshima Carp have their own academy in the Dominican Republic as well.

There may well be interest, but it will come down to what the team can get in return. As for the Giants, Buffaloes, and Swallows mentioned above, the working agreements call for exchanges of information involving training techniques and use of facilities for rehabilitating players. Hiroshima gets affordable, young talent (and it's a pet project of their owner, if I recall correctly).

As for expanding their image into North America, I'm not sure that the teams are really that interested in that. It's a shame, as I know that many Pro Yakyu fans around the globe would love to see NPB do more to promote the game outside of Japan. But the owners are only interested in the local market. They've done nothing to make me think that they're intersted in expanding globally (dashing my hopes of seeing a Pacific Rim League, a proposal of mine to help make the game more appealing to a broader audiance). I'm afraid that you may need to focus a sales' pitch in a different direction.

Please keep in mind that I'm a computer programmer who happens to be a big fan of Japanese baseball. Being able to read and understand Japanese are the only "expert" qualifications I have. The business side of things don't interest me, so I don't read up on that too much. When making a business decision, please weigh these factors into any comments I may make. As much as I hope my comments are useful, they shouldn't be considered "expert opinion."

Gambatte.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.