Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Contact Information for MLB Japan

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Contact Information for MLB Japan
I am currently working on a thesis project involving transnational labor and baseball, with a strong basis in dependency theory and world systems theory. Japan is representing my semi-periphery model for the project and I have been seeing the name Jim Allen, MLB Japan Executive, pop up as being a source in many articles. Do you have information on him or MLB Japan? It would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone have comments on the thoery that MLB is an aggressive, monopolizing NGO that is seeking to exploit the resources of Japan and eventually turn it into the same situation as the Dominican Republic? The problem with MLB's plan being both the economic strength (relative) of Japan and Japan's powerful amateur tradition. Just looking for some reaction/counter-theory, I realize it is quite controversial and easily debated.
Comments
Re: Contact Information for MLB Japan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 3, 2003 7:23 PM | YBS Fan ]

I know Jim Allen works for the Daily Yomiuri as a writer and editor, but I don't know anything about him being an "MLB Japan Excecutive." Because the Japanese league is called NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball), I can only assume that such a post has to do with MLB marketing in Japan.

You can contact Allen-san directly. I belive that his e-mail address on his home page is still valid. It was the last time I wrote him. If it isn't, let me know and I'll try to contact him by other means.

As for comments on your theory, I've written extensively on the subject throughout this site over the past several years. Google for some key words with "site:www.japanesebaseball.com" (no quotes) pre/appended to your query. In a nut shell, I think that most of the doom and gloom predictions of Japanese baseball by the North American press is just sensationalist journalism by people who don't know what they're talking about.
[ Author: Guest: Thomas Soldan | Posted: Nov 5, 2003 6:19 AM ]

Commish,

I apologize for my mistake, you are right, Jim Allen is a fixture in the Yomiuri Shimbun as a sportswriter. I was actually looking for information on Jim Small, who is quoted by Mr. Allen in a September 27, 2003 article and referred to as MLB Japan Managing Director. The article is about MLB's intentions in entering the NPB's market, as a "partner" and not a "rival."

Any information on Small-san? I can't find much reference to him or his office anywhere else.

Not a rush though, I am currently writing the chapter on how the NPB is currently developing toward core status (on par with MLB) from a semi-periphery / independent body in the world-baseball-system. NPB is developing its own periphery in Asia, and there are dubious comparisons beginning to develop to the development of the MLB periphery in Latin America. A stronger state (league) could help propel the NPB to more equal status, what do you think?
[ Author: Guest: bob whiting | Posted: Nov 7, 2003 8:15 PM ]

Jim Small's E-mail address is: jim.small at mlb dot com. He's got an office in the Imperial Towers in Tokyo at the moment.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.