Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Field Dimensions?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Field Dimensions?
Hello, I hate to even write this. A friend and I were discussing Matsuzaka the other day and somehow the conversation rolled around to my friend claiming that the fields were different in Japan than in America. My wife is from Japan and I have seen many games in Japan, could you please tell me were to find official dimensions of Japanese ballparks. It would really help me out.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Field Dimensions?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 20, 2007 9:25 AM | YBS Fan ]

In the Pacific League, I believe that all of the stadiums are now 100 meters up the lines and 122 meters to straight away center. The main differentiating feature is the height of the fence. This is the league that Matsuzaka has been pitching in. Let's run through them all:
  • Sapporo Dome: 100m, 122m
  • Fulcast Stadium Miyagi: 101.5m, 122m
  • Seibu Goodwill Dome: 100m, 122m
  • Chiba Marine Stadium: 99.5m, 122m
  • Osaka Kyocera Dome: 100m, 122m
  • Fukuoka Dome: 100m, 122m
While Chiba Marine Stadium is cut a little smaller, the Candlestick Park like winds make hitting home runs rather difficult. Seibu Dome (aka Goodwill Dome this year, aka Invoice Dome last year) was Matsuzaka's home. It has a low fence and is open to the elements all around - it just happens to have a cover over it.

In the Central League, only the newer stadiums are cut to those dimensions. Hiroshima, Jingu, Koshien, and Yokohama vary down the lines from each other.
  • Tokyo Dome: 100m, 122m
  • Meiji Jingu Kyujyo: 91m, 120m
  • Yokohama Stadium: 94m, 118m
  • Nagoya Dome: 100m, 122m
  • Koshien Kyujyo: 96m, 120m
  • Hiroshima Shimin Kyujyo: 91.4m, 115.8m
There are also numerous third party stadiums that each team plays in during the year. As much as CJ can't believe it, one of the things I think that NPB does right is bring baseball to regions that don't have convenient access to the baseball metropolises.

Currently, all of the main stadiums are symmetrical - the same on either side of the line from home plate, over the mound, to straight away center. The new stadium that Hiroshima is planning on building will be the first one with differing dimensions between left and right.

Source: "球場物語2 The Ballpark in Japan," Baseball Magazine Sha, ISBN 4910204480378-00933.
[ Author: Guest: Michael | Posted: May 1, 2007 4:27 AM ]

Do you know how high the pitchers mound is raised above the ground? In MLB the mound is raised 10 inches, is this different in Japanese Baseball?
[ Author: Guest: Duane Clark | Posted: May 6, 2007 3:29 PM ]

I'm doing some research on Japanese baseball compared to MLB. I found that, on average, Japanese parks are 20 feet shorter down the left field line, about the same dead center and in the gaps, and an average of 14 feet longer down the right field line.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: May 6, 2007 9:19 PM ]

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.