Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Komiyama Returns to Chiba

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Komiyama Returns to Chiba
Today's (December 2, 2003) Nikkan Sports has a photo of Komiyama Satoru and Valentine-kantoku (taken on June 7, 1995 after a complete game victory) with a big headline reading "Komiyama Returns."

After being reunited with Valentine-kantoku in 2002 with the Mets, going over as a free agent, Komiyama was released with an 0-3 record in 25 appearances.

Komi-chan tried to return to Yokohama, but they wouldn't even talk with him. However, they did keep him on their reserve roster, preventing Komiyama from taking a job with another Japanese team without that team paying 1.5 times Komiyama's 2001 salary of 1.1-oku yen to the team. Considering that they didn't have to pay a free agent commission to Lotte, that seems kind of spiteful of them. Since no one was willing to shell out 1.65-oku yen for the returning pitcher, Komiyama took the year off and worked odd jobs such as writer for Nikkan Sports.

During the year off, though, Komiyama continued working out and still feels that he's in top condition. With Valentine's return to Lotte, and Yokohama's claim expiring on November 30, Komiyama's original team, Lotte, has extended an offer which Komiyama appears ready to accept.

Despite a 107-132 record in Japan, Komiyama has been a quality pitcher with a (Japan) career 3.54 ERA. (Can you say, "no run support"?)

It kind of surprizes me that Lotte is trying this again after Rose didn't work out this season. But I sincerely hope that Komi-chan does make a great comeback.
Comments
Re: Komiyama Returns to Chiba
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Dec 3, 2003 5:31 AM ]

I don't know how well Komiyama will do now, he's certainly getting on in years. But I always thought the Mets would have gotten much better use out of him as a starter than as a reliever. Some guys can make the adjustment quickly from starting to relieving, but Komiyama wasn't even as young as Hasegawa was when he made the switch in the majors, and making the switch while also adapting to a new culture and environment was probably not very easy.
[ Author: limoman | Posted: Dec 14, 2003 2:55 PM ]

I am new to Japanese baseball. I am also a huge fan of Bobby Valentine. I want to follow his team, the Marines, but I don't know when the season starts. Could some one tell me? I would apreciate any help in learning about Japanese baseball. You can e-mail me at martmar63 at{} hotmail dot{} com. Thank you in advance for your help.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Dec 31, 2003 3:36 PM | HAN Fan ]

Keep reading and respoding to the all of the forums on this site and you will see what books, magazines, other web sites, and other references to help you learn more about Japanese baseball. You are very fortunate to have sites like this. You will still have to do some of your own personal research (which is fun to me).

The players start individual training in January by themselves or with other ballplayers. In February, teams practice in warmer climes like Okinawa, Kyushu, Guam, Saipan, Hawaii, Arizona, or Florida. Then in March they head to their practice sites or home stadiums to play exhibitions games. After that, the regular season starts the last week of March or first week of April. The season ends in October where the Central League champion takes on the winner of the Pacific League in the Nippon Series.

In late October and early November the teams contine to play exhibitions after the Nippon Series. The players get December off.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Dec 31, 2003 12:00 PM ]

Well, good luck to Komiyama-san. I appreciated his efforts with the Mets. Looks like the Marines will have many of Bobby V's old favorites. Maybe he'll make a run at Super Joe McEwing one day.
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Jan 1, 2004 9:53 AM ]

Komi-san actually got a bad rap from someone in the Mets' organization, maybe inadvertently from Bobby V. himself. It was a novelty when he signed with the Mets at the time, and everyone wanted to know who this guy Komiyama was. Someone then described him as the "Japanese Greg Maddux." That was quite a compliment, but it also raised expectations unusually high for the poor guy. When he performed like a mere mortal, people were disappointed and he took a few knocks. That's why one must be careful in managing the expectations for Kaz.
[ Author: Guest: Frank | Posted: Jan 1, 2004 7:00 PM ]

Yes, the Japanese Greg Maddux was a bit overrated to me. Komiyama was pretty decent in AAA, but will always give up the big HR when he's up in the majors. I wish him the best.
[ Author: Jen Wei | Posted: Feb 7, 2004 2:15 AM | HNHF Fan ]

Maybe he will be the same as Masato Yoshii who played for Orix, because he has a great deal of good exprience and I know he will try his best to play this year. If not, I don't think we'll see him on the field again after this season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.