Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Yokohama and Orix

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Yokohama and Orix
Which is the correct way to write the names of the Yokohama and Orix teams in English:
  • Bay Stars? BayStars? Baystars?
  • Blue Wave? BlueWave? Bluewave?
Comments
Re: Yokohama and Orix
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 14, 2004 12:22 PM | HAN Fan ]

I don't how correct things can be when it comes to "Japlish," but the official names are:

Orix BlueWave and Yokohama BayStars.

It is "Yokohama BayStars, even though the "Bay" should tie in more with "Yokohama" than "Stars."

Bob, thank you for your books and other writings on Japanese baseball. Those were precious resources in the days when Japanese baseball news trickled out so slowly.

[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 1:40 AM | HT Fan ]

I don't know how official this is, but in Shukan Baseball's "12 kyudan" weekly topics section, the names are written as:
    Orix Bluewave
    Yokohama Bay Stars
I don't know if the "w" in "wave" should be capitalized or not, because all the team names are written in caps.

I also would like to echo Kiyoshi-san's sentiments.
[ Author: InterestedAmericanObserver | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 12:08 PM ]

Mr Whiting,

I'm in the middle of reading "Ya Gotta Have Wa" and it has been incredibly interesting and informative. It has been a real asset in my effort to learn more about Japanese baseball. I can't wait for your new book, "The Importance of Ichiro" (or so I've heard it is called)!
[ Author: Guest: bobwhiting | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 4:51 PM ]

Thanks to you all. The name of the book is "The Meaning of Ichiro." However, perhaps I should have called it, as suggested here, "The Importance of Being Ichiro." The book is supposed come out from Time-Warner at the end of March. But first I've got some correcting to do in regard to the names of the Yokohama and Orix teams.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 15, 2004 7:42 PM | YBS Fan ]

Looking at the team links page on the Official NPB web site [Link - in Japanese], it appears that there is a space between the two "mascot" words.

However, looking at the teams' official sites:[Both in Japanese]

The pair of mascot names are run together in all instances. Most of the time, it's written in all caps, however, when in mixed caps, Yokohama consistantly writes it "BayStars" on their site. Orix, on the other hand, writes it both "Bluewave" and "BlueWave."

Standardized Romanization of names (or lack thereof) is one of my nit-picks. If "ou" becomes "oh" at the end of last names, such as Itoh, then it should for first names as well, such as Ichiroh. You'll find that I include the final 'h' on last names throughout my database because that's how it's written on the back of players' uniforms. (I confess to be inconsistant myself with first names, with Koji and Kohji both being used.) However, the English press appears to drop the final 'h' - making it confusing to follow their guides with players on the field.

Nonetheless, I would go with BayStars and BlueWave, as that's how the two teams' official sites write them, as well as how they appear on their uniforms.
The Meaning of Ichiro
[ Author: Guest: PFG | Posted: Jan 17, 2004 1:39 AM ]

Mr. Whiting's upcoming book "The Meaning of Ichiro" can be pre-ordered now at amazon.com, which claims an April, 2004 release.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.