Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Everything About Japanese Baseball

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Everything About Japanese Baseball
Good morning.

I am writing to you because I want to know everything about the professional Japanese baseball league. I mean, how many games does every team play during the regular season, how many playoff series exist, how many games are played against each other team, when does the season begin and end (months), etc.? I hope you can help me. Thanks.

Geronimo Maneiro
Caracas, Venezuela
(South America)
Comments
Re: Everything About Japanese Baseball
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 19, 2004 1:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, to start with, reading a lot of the news and open talk sections will fill you in on a lot of what goes on in Japanese baseball. For example, scheduling information can be found here and under 2003 Teams. Historically, the number of games played has fluctuated, with different rules on the makeup of tied games between the two leagues.

As for play-offs, this thread discusses what the Pacific League plans on doing this year. Historically, the Pacific League had first half/second half victors play each other for the Pacific League pennant in the past.

There are currently 1,586 threads with 8,273 messages (ah! 8,274 now) with a great deal of information on Japanese baseball. I'd suggest reading some of them and asking more specific questions after first getting a basic background.
Re: Everything About Japanese Baseball
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Jan 20, 2004 1:13 AM | HAN Fan ]

Amen!

We are so fortunate that this web site exists to answer your questions. The great thing is that once you follow these forums, you will eventually contribute some information yourself (especially info on Venezuelan players that are playing or have played in Japan).

I think Michael Westbay will agree with me saying that no one will ever know "everything about Japanese baseball," particularly pre-1950.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.