Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Team Jersey

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Team Jersey
I have three baseball jerseys from Japanese teams and I would like to know something about them.

One has the name Kumamoto on the front and #21 on the left side below it. There is a #6 on the back. The letters are burgundy in color. There is some writing in Japanese on the bottom of the left sleeve. The label says Toray Pylen Decent.

The second says Akahoshi on the front with a #19 on the back and a large red star on the left sleeve. There is burgundy trim around the neck and sleeves and the letters are black. The label says Valio Sportswear, Osaka, Nagoyo, Tokyo

The last is a light blue color with Japanese characters in a darker blue on the left front side. There is a #29 in black on a large white patch on the back. The label says The Best for typical sportsmen original by Descente. This last jersey seems to be of a newer variety.

I would appreciate anything you may be able to share about these jerseys. I can include photos if this is acceptable.

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Team Jersey
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 8, 2007 4:30 PM | YBS Fan ]

The first one sounds like it's from Kumamoto High School. I'm not sure what to make of the numbers at this moment. I do know that players receive different numbers for the Koshien tournament than they may usually wear. Maybe the photos will help.

The second one sounds like it might be Norihiro Akahoshi's high school uniform, or perhaps a special uniform in his honor. He's worn #53 throughout his professional career with the Tigers, so I doubt that it has anything to do with Hanshin's marketing. There is an Akaboshi city (same Kanji) in Shikoku. Might they have a baseball team?

I'd need to see the Kanji for the third uniform to even begin to guess.

I await the photos.
Re: Team Jersey
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 9, 2007 10:09 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you for sending the images. This helps a lot.

First up is Kumamoto:

I thought that it might be Kumamoto High's at first, but this shows that I was wrong. The lettering on the sleeves says "Shiyakusho" which is the municipal offices for the city. So this uniform is most likely for a team put together by city office workers in Kumamoto city.

Batting second is Akahoshi:

I'm at a loss with this one. I can't find an Akahoshi High School. I doubt if it has anything to do with Hanshin's Akahoshi now. My best guess would be a rural club team anywhere in Japan. Sorry that that doesn't narrow it down very far.

Third up comes Blue:

The Kanji are "Kikuchi East." Kikuchi is a city in Kumamoto prefecture. I couldn't find a Kikuchi East High School team, only a former junior high school.

However I think we have an important clue! Looking at Kikuchi city, there is an Akahoshi ward. I think that these are uniforms from a local amateur baseball league in Kumamoto. I'm not 100% sure, but that's what they all seem to have in common.

That was an interesting mystery. Thanks for asking.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.