Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fathers and Sons?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Fathers and Sons?
Have there ever been or are their any father/son or brother combos in the Japanese baseball?
Comments
Re: Fathers and Sons?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 10, 2007 8:44 AM | YBS Fan ]

The brothers question was quickly found using the search box in the upper-right of every page. Please see this thread.

The two most famous father-son combos were Nagashima Shigeo and Kazushige and Nomura Katsuya and Katsunori. Both fathers managed their sons. Neither son lived up to their fathers' standards.

The father of one of the pitchers for SoftBank also made it to Pro Yakyu, but which one escapes me right now. And my office is in such disarray that I can't find anything I'm looking for. All I can recall right now is that this was a case where the son exceeded his father.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Jul 11, 2007 6:21 AM | TYS Fan ]

Hiroshima's Hiroki Kuroda's father Kazuhiro played in NPB.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 12, 2007 8:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Donoue brothers are both playing for Chunichi's ni-gun team right now. In fact, against Hiroshima's farm team on July 8 they both hit home runs in Chunichi's 9-2 victory. Younger brother Naomichi, batting 4th and playing third base, hit a 2-run shot in the top of the 3rd inning. Big brother Takehiro, playing left field and batting 5th, then hit a 3-run shot in the 5th inning, putting the game away.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 30, 2007 11:36 AM | YBS Fan ]

Moreover, the Donoue brothers' father, Terashi, pitched for the Chunichi Dragons from 1971-'85.

As Takehiro Donoue hit his first careen home run yesterday against Yakult, Nikkan Sports wrote a feature about father-son combinations who have each hit home runs. Terashi hit 4 while pitching for Chunichi.

The other five father-son combinations to have hit home runs in Pro Yakyu include:

Tsuboi Shinzaburo (Chunichi, others 1970-'77) and Tomochika (Hanshin, Nippon Ham 1998-present)

Nomura Katsuya (Nankai, others 1954-'80) and Katsunori (Yakult, others 1996-2006)

Nagashima Shigeo (Giants 1958-'74) and Kazushige (Yakult, Giants 1988-'96)

Keough Marty (Nankai 1968) and Matt (Hanshin 1987-'90)

Horii Kazuo (Nankai 1943-'59) and Kazuto (Nankai 1970-80)

So that fills in a few more of the missing father-son combinations. It'll be interesting when Naomichi hits his first home run, as that'll mark the first father-brothers set to all hit one.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.