Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koji Uehara a Closer?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Koji Uehara a Closer?
Can anyone tell me why, after so many years, Koji Uehara is now the closer for the Giants?

Also, is Uehara projected as a starter coming to MLB next season as a free agent, or will he pitch out of the pen? I know it depend on what team he signs with, but let's just say, what do you think most likely will happen.
Comments
Re: Koji Uehara a Closer?
[ Author: grejii | Posted: Jul 23, 2007 3:54 PM ]

Essentially, he is recuperating from injuries from last season. They are saying that, at least for the record, it is leg problems. However, I have heard a lot of talk that he has had shoulder problems before. This could have been the chicken/egg effect. A lot of times, a leg injury will cause a pitcher to change his delivery favoring the injury, which results in him hurting his arm, or shoulder. Not as common, is the sore arm which causes a change in his body rotation to favor the arm and he ends up injuring his leg (usally ham string or tendons to the knee).

Uehara is a power starter and I think the Giants want to get him back there as soon as possible, but (unusual for NPB) not so fast as to ruin him for good. They seem to be satisfied with him in relief for now; however, if they keep skidding, that probably won't last long.
Re: Koji Uehara a Closer?
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Jul 27, 2007 8:54 PM ]

There was a report a couple weeks back that Uehara is quite unhappy in the role of closer. Hara's reaction to this was pretty much a "he will do what I tell him."
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.