Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

NPB Broadcasts in USA?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
NPB Broadcasts in USA?
I live in the United States. I've visited Japan twice and really enjoy the way the Japanese play the game of baseball. I try to follow my best on the computer, but I was wondering if there are any TV channels to watch the NPB games? Or are there any internet sites that might broadcast the games? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!
Comments
Re: NPB Broadcasts in USA?
[ Author: slingshot | Posted: Mar 24, 2004 10:12 AM | SFT Fan ]

Since we're on the subject of NPB broadcasts in the U.S., I was browsing the Hawks' 2004 web site and saw that there will be a live internet broadcast of a game between Daiei and Orix on March 27th. My Japanese language abilities are pretty sketchy, but is this internet broadcast free and accessible online?

Here's the link [in Japanese].
[ Author: niibu_yaa | Posted: Mar 26, 2004 6:22 PM | FSH Fan ]

Yes slingshot, that FDH site you listed provides many of the games live on their internet broadcasts. That's how I usually keep up with them. Along with the live broadcast they also have a scoreboard. The downside of the KBC broadcasts is that the scoreboard doesn't give you a pitch by pitch description, and it can be sluggish at updating. So you may want to check out Yahoo BB for that animation. Also KBC wasn't able to secure the rights to broadcast the Japan Series last year.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Mar 24, 2004 10:39 AM ]

Mainichi Broadcasting [in Japanese] costs a couple bucks a game or 30 some dollars for the whole season for Hanshins home game not against the Giants. That's how I watched on 9/15 from over here.
[ Author: slingshot | Posted: Mar 24, 2004 2:13 PM | SFT Fan ]

I went and checked out the Mainichi Hanshin broadcast package. The sample clip looks pretty good, and the price is reasonable. For those of you who have used it before, how is the quality and connection of the live feed? If they're good, I think I'm gonna try it out even if it's only Hanshin home games at Koshien.
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Mar 25, 2004 6:58 AM ]

I don't know about everyone else, but the quality is good. On my computer, after around 20-30 minutes, the quality drops a bit, so I always go back and reload the whole thing which makes it better.

Oh, and btw, there's around a 15 second delay [to cache the stream], but it doesn't really matter.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 24, 2004 8:53 PM | YBS Fan ]

Many of the suggestions here, and questions from others over the years, are covered in Robert Whiting's latest book, "The Meaning of Ichiro," ISBN 0-446-53192-8. I'm a little under half way through it. I'd consider it a must-read for any journalist thinking about covering baseball in Japan - even a short series.
[ Author: Guest: Koji | Posted: Mar 26, 2004 1:40 PM ]

So when I try to tell people about a new NPB videogame coming out, it's spamming. When you shill a book like crazy, it's being informative. What a hypocrite.
OT: Video Games
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 26, 2004 2:38 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's correct. A book or web site about Japanese baseball is informative. A video game has nothing to do with what's going on on the field, in the stands, or with Japanese society in any way is not.

There have been questions in the past on how to play some video games by people who couldn't read Japanese, and they got no response. There are plenty of other forums about video games. Feel free to go there.

There are ways of astroturfing video games that I will accept. Look at the Data Requests thread. Does the video game you're advertising have a database of former players? If so, point it out as a resource to answer some of those requests. If not, what kind of official data is accessible?

Can it be used in conjuction with a live feed to act as a live virtual broadcast? If so, that needs to be made clear at the beginning of your post. I know the technology is possible, but I don't do video games, so I don't know if it's been done, yet. (If you did say such a thing in your last post, I'm sorry that I didn't read it. I had five "Make Money Fast" posts to delete at that time, your post started off looking like an advertisement, and I wasn't in the mood to read about a video game. Your follow up comments didn't contain anything to change my mind.)

Free Speech and Commercial Speech are two different things, both a privilage that requires responsibility. What's more, this isn't a public site paid for by tax money. It's a hobby site that I do for fun (and have recieved a total of 0 yen while investing a great deal in research material and time). A video game forum isn't my idea of fun, sorry. (Nor is the MLB forum, but I get far too many questions to ignore MLB all together - and there have been a few really good posts there.)

In short, I'll be happy to put up your ad for a video game if you tailor it to fit with the context of the site - i.e. focus on what it adds to the NPB experience rather than game play.

No hard feelings?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 29, 2004 11:03 PM | YBS Fan ]

While listening to the Seibu - Lotte game on the radio on Sunday, they signed off and mentioned that the game would be continuing on the Internet. A quick look at Bunka Housou, then a jump to LionsNighter.com, and finally to BBQR [both in Japanese] led me to where the Internet broadcasts were linked from.

I checked again this evening, and the links are there (at BBRQ) during the games. The link disappears after the game is over.

Warning: Windows Media Player stream, but MPlayer works on Linux, FreeBSD, and Mac OS X for those who prefer alternatives they can trust.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.