Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Koji Uehara: Free Agent after 2007?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Koji Uehara: Free Agent after 2007?
Is Koji Uehara eligible for free agency after the 2007 season? I know at one point he was, but he was not activated this season until (approximately) May 1 due to injury, and I am wondering if that one month of lost service time is enough to delay his free agency until the end of the 2008 season. Thanks,

Gus Papadopoulos, rotowire.com
Comments
Re: Koji Uehara: Free Agent after 2007?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Aug 8, 2007 9:37 AM | CLM Fan ]

You're correct. He won't be eligible for free agency until after the 2008 season. Bummer, right?
[ Author: Guest: GusP | Posted: Aug 9, 2007 10:17 PM ]

Bummer indeed. Thanks for the clarification.
[ Author: Guest: tlmcleod | Posted: Aug 30, 2007 9:44 PM ]

Now that clarification has been made re: the 145/60 clause being in place for 2007, wouldn't Uehara as well as Fukudome be eligible to use same to allow for declaration of free agency for 2008?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Sep 2, 2007 4:08 AM | SFT Fan ]

- [...] wouldn't Uehara as well as Fukudome be eligible to use same to allow for declaration of free agency for 2008?

No, since Uehara [Sponichi- in Japanese] would only have 8+ years of service time after this year. That would still make him a free agent after the 2008 season at the earliest.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.