Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Help on Reading Boxscores?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Help on Reading Boxscores?
Is there anywhere on the Net that has some help/directions on interpreting boxscores like the ones posted here on the teams' schedules? I noticed that they have what looks like an at-bat by at-bat summary of the game. Is there a place to find out what each of these symbols mean?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And if something like this doesn't exist, it might be a nice page to set up. By the looks of it, those are some detailed boxscores.

- Stevie
Comments
Re: Help on Reading Boxscores?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 5, 2004 11:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

I really only put those up to have a record of them after I throw my physical newspaper away, as my wife wants me to become a little more paperless with my hobby. If anyone else can get something out of them, that's a bonus.

With that in mind, I believe strongly in self study. Anyone motivated enough to figure out a few dozen characters (names of players takes a little more effort) can get at this wealth of information.

Fortunately, there's a great resource this year in English with very similar information. Borisov-san's Japanese Pro Yakyu site has boxscores in English. And they're arranged in much the same format. Compare a few of them and you should be able to figure out the meaning of a great many of the characters without so much as a dictionary.

How about giving it a shot? This could make a great self-learning project.
Re: Help on Reading Boxscores?
[ Author: Guest: Stevie | Posted: Apr 6, 2004 3:55 AM ]

That's perfect, actually. I didn't know about Borisov-san's site until you mentioned it, and he preserves the format of the Japanese boxscores almost exactly. For those of you interested, this is a great way to learn to read players' names as well. This will help immensely following Yahoo! Japan's live updates!

Thanks again!

- Stevie
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.