Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Question on Marine's Sponsor

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Question on Marine's Sponsor
Hey Commish,

Is the Marine's sponsor, Lotte, the Korean firm Lotte Confectionary Company? If it is so, I do not quite understand this relationship considering there is an animosity between Koreans and Japanese among older generation. Especially, when NPB does not particularly like foreign players (to some degree).

When I was in Japan to work on my dissertation, I was interviewing an elderly man who kept on referring to me as Chosenjin, which was very offensive to me when I am really a Korean-American.
Comments
Re: Question on Marine's Sponsor
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 8, 2004 8:28 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, they are the same.

You can calk it up to equal opportunity, I guess. Or as proof that, if you've got money, you're welcome no matter what your nationality.

You're going to find some red-necked biggots anywhere you go. The older generation is going to have more than the younger generation. And certain economic areas are going to have more racial tension than others. (I couldn't believe how blatantly segregated Virginia was when I visited it a few years ago.)

From what I've seen, the younger generation is very interested in Korea, enjoying trips to Seoul and Pusan for recreation and the food. What's more, some Korean "trendy dramas" and musical artists are making their way to Japan and attracting a good sized following.

Finally, the KBO (Korean Baseball Organization) and Taiwanese baseball both have regular spots in Shukan Baseball, as we all know that baseball is an international language, capable of breaking down any linguistic and cultural barrier that even the hardest of hard liners tries to lay down.
[ Author: Kiyoshi | Posted: Apr 9, 2004 10:45 AM | HAN Fan ]

Just a sidenote: Lotte not only owns the Chiba Lotte Marines of the Japanese Pacific League, but they own the Lotte Giants of the Korean Baseball Organization.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 9, 2004 10:10 AM | HT Fan ]

I'd hazard a guess that, here in Japan, a lot of youngsters are not really aware of Lotte as a Korean company -- it's just the maker of their favourite gum, sweets, or whatever.
[ Author: Guest: Mike | Posted: Apr 10, 2004 12:55 PM ]

Thanks for all your replies. I live in Southern California and most of my friends are second or third generation Chinese-Americans, Korean-Americans, or Japanese-Americans. Everytime we gather, we would usually go out to drink and talk about Dodgers and how we will win the World Series (we are always optimistic when the season starts, but lately we are running out of patience because of the bad management by the front office) and most importantly, about JDM cars. There are no animosities between us. It is good to know that younger generations in Korea and Japan are becoming more familiar with their respective cultures.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.