Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What Should I Expect at First NPB Game?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
What Should I Expect at First NPB Game?
Hi, I am visiting Japan in a week. I know the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters will play the Chiba Lotte Marines on May 17, 18, 19 in Chiba. I plan to go to one of those games, and I want to do some research so I know what to expect. Is it pretty easy to get day of game tickets? How early can I get into the stadium? Will there be batting practice? Will it be easy to get autographs from players (particularly Shinjo)?

Man, Shinjo is really sucking it up this season, and why are they batting him lead off?

By the way, this site is awesome.
Comments
Re: What Should I Expect at First NPB Game?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 8, 2004 8:25 PM | YBS Fan ]

Lotte games are pretty easy to get "day of game" tickets for. The outfield bleachers are generally sold out (especially on the Lotte side), but I don't think I'd recommend the oen-dan (cheering section) seats for a first game. Besides, it sounds like you'll want to be on the visitors' (third base) side. I'd recommend behind the third base dugout to either side. The closer to home plate, the more likely you'll be able to hold a conversation with somebody.

It's been many years since I've gotten to a stadium before the gates opened, but I believe that it was after batting practice when I did. All I remember was a little bit of infield knock and players running/warming up in the outfield. I remember Nippon Ham announcing that they were opening the doors early a number of years ago to allow fans to watch one of their foreign players launch home runs during batting practice, inferring that fans were usually let in after he hit.

I've heard that Chiba Marine Stadium is a good place to get autographs from players. But I'm not a collector, so don't have any first hand experience. And it was home team fans that I've heard this from - so I don't know if the visiting team will hang out at the low point in the stands or not.

I think that the rest of your questions about seeing a game can be answered in Latham-san's "See a Japanese Game" page, Bavasi-san's tour and testimonials page, or from various links in the "How do I get tickets?" FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) here on this site.

Shinjo's been on and off so far this season. When he's been hitting, the Fighters have been doing pretty well. But then he'll hit a skid. Either way, the people I've talked with in Hokkaido love that Shinjo is there, through good and bad. It's his personality and character that has a wide appeal. A number of co-workers from our Sapporo branch have said that they would like to go to a game at Sapporo Dome specifically to see Shinjo.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: May 8, 2004 11:46 PM ]

FWIW, when I went to Game 2 of the 2000 Nihon Series (camping out in front of the Tokyo Dome's bleachers gate), we were able to see Daiei's batting practice. And that's about as early as you can get in, I think.
[ Author: Guest: shinjo lite | Posted: May 13, 2004 3:38 PM ]

Westbay-san and CFiJ-san, thank you for your detailed response. I am hopping onto the plane in 14 hours. Can't wait to get to Chiba Marine Stadium. For sure I will be at the visitor's side.

So, in Japan the visitor side is on the third base side! That's completely opposite of what the MLB has.

Hopefully, I will get to watch some batting practice. I plan to show up two hours before game time, so I won't miss a beat.

Thanks again!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.