Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rumors about NPB

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Rumors about NPB
I'm a developing fan of Japanese baseball and I have heard rumors about it. Is it true that player salaries are determined for them? Also I've heard that there is a pitcher in Japan who has nine different types of pitches. If either of these are true, can you tell me?
Comments
Re: Rumors about NPB
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 26, 2004 9:28 PM | YBS Fan ]

As a matter of fact, there is currently a player with 9 pitches. And your question is timed perfectly with a special in Shukan Baseball that just came out today that has a nice chart of who throws what.

Anyway, Orix's right handed pitcher, Ogura Hisashi, throws:

Pitch Speed v.Left v.Right
    Stright 138-144 37% 42%
    Shoot 136-141 10% 6%
    Curve 98-115 3% 3%
    Slider 120-131 14% 29%
    Cut Ball 135-138 0% 0%
    Fork 125-134 8% 7%
    Sinker 125-134 15% 2%
    Change-up 106-123 1% 0%
    Nuckle 125-133 12% 11%

The percentages of type of pitch vs. left and right handed batters is rounded to the nearest unit. While he's thrown 0% cut balls so far this season, it's listed as one of his pitches, and may be a pitch or two that didn't merit a whole number percentage. I only have the summation to go by, not the original data set.

The majority of pitchers in Japan know at least four pitches. It's certainly not unusual to have six to seven pitches to choose from.

As for salary negotiation, until recently, the players had to negotiate salaries on their own with the front offices. Those who try to use agents with the Giants get traded away for being trouble makers (such as what happened with Iriki this past off season). Some players put up a good fight to get more, others, like Hideki Matsui, sign the first offering given them every year without a word.

So, they are permitted to negotiate, with agents for any team but the Giants. Some (most lower players) accept what they're offered without a word in opposition as far as I know.

Hope this helps to clear some things up.
Re: Rumors about NPB
[ Author: Seibu Fan | Posted: May 28, 2004 9:09 PM ]

Thanks a lot. I wasn't expecting so much help!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.