Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What is a SHOOT?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
What is a SHOOT?
What is a "shoot" pitch? I see that the Japanese have a pitch called the shoot, but what is it? There's nothing called "shoot" in American baseball/MLB, or is it under another name? Anyone, please let me know.
Comments
Re: What is a SHOOT?
[ Author: matteo | Posted: May 31, 2004 11:47 PM ]

Well, I'm not sure of the proper name of a shoot, but what I got from playing high school Japanese ball was that a shooter is a ball curving into the inside corner of a right hander.

I hope that helps.
[ Author: Guest: Shawn | Posted: Jun 4, 2004 4:28 AM ]

The shoot is just a faster version of a curve. I threw it in a few games in high school and they hit 3 home runs off me! So I never threw it again.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Jun 10, 2004 4:32 AM ]

A shoot is a cut fastball with movement in and down a bit to a right-handed hitter. Think of it as a kind of reverse slider.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Jun 11, 2004 6:14 AM ]

The shooter is known as the slurve here in the USA and Canada.
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: Jun 11, 2004 9:32 AM ]

Okay. I agree with CFiJ-san and matteo-san. But in my mind, a fast curve would have the same movement as a curve ball, which would mean that it moves outside on right-handers when thrown by a right-hander. A slurve, I am assuming, is a slow curve, which also doesn't make sense.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Jun 11, 2004 4:05 PM | HT Fan ]

I just heard the term "slurve" for the first time when I read the above post. I assumed it was a combination of slider and curve rather than an abbreviation of "slow curve". Either way, I'm still no closer to finding out what a "shoot" really is.

I get the feeling, though, that there are about 500 names for each pitch, and that "shoot" was probably known as something else a few years ago, and something else again a few years before that, and so on and so forth.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jun 12, 2004 11:28 AM ]

A shuuto is a changeup that moves in an down to a right-handed hitter from a right-handed pitcher. For those of you who have seen Mariners' right-hander Freddie Garcia, he throws a really nasty shuuto, though they call it his change-up. However, like any change-up, if you hang it, it tends to travel a long way.

The shuuto is often translated as "screwball," but that isn't quite accurate. There are NPB pitcher who throw true screwballs ("screw" in Japanese) such as Masanori Ishikawa and Masahiro Yamamoto.
[ Author: Guest: George Kato | Posted: Aug 4, 2004 5:20 AM ]

Shoot is not slurve, changeup, nor faster version of curve ball. I cannot believe it is so misunderstood. It is a version of cutter (two seamer) that only moves toward the inside of the batter. In another word, it is only called shoot when a right handed pitcher pitches it to the inside of the right handed batter and the left handed pitcher pitches it to the inside of the left handed batter.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.