Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Can Kazumi Saitoh be Posted This Year?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Can Kazumi Saitoh be Posted This Year?
Can Kazumi Saitoh be posted this year, or does he need more years of experience?
Comments
Re: Can Kazumi Saitoh be Posted This Year?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 24, 2007 10:25 AM | YBS Fan ]

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Posting System works. There is no minimum service time to be posted. 9 years (being registered on the top team) is necessary to become free agent, but not for being posted.

There is a correlation between posting and reaching free agency. Teams want to hold on to stars as long as they can, so if they're interested in selling a player to an MLB team, then the year before the player becomes a free agent is the optimal time to do so (as teams don't get compensation for free agents who go to the MLB). But assuming that teams are developing stars for the purpose of selling them to MLB teams is a fallacy created in the heads of the North American press (who don't let the need for research and/or facts get in the way of a good ego-centric story) because greed is the only motivation that they understand.

Please use the search box at the top of this page. "Posting system" (with quotes) is a good term to start with in researching this subject. I know that some people think I'm a jerk for asking people to research things like this on their own (as opposed to just telling them what they want to hear), but those who (even grudgingly) take my advice tend to appreciate it in the long run.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.