Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Petagine and Alex Cabrera

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Petagine and Alex Cabrera
I would greatly appreciate some information about why Roberto Petagine is not playing as a regular with Yomiuri Giants. He is not in the starting lineup everyday.

Also, Alex Cabrera was not supposed to be back at the end of May, 2004? Is he in Japan right now?
Comments
Re: Petagine and Alex Cabrera
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 6, 2004 11:27 PM | YBS Fan ]

The reason that Petagine has not been in the line-up has been due to Kiyohara's quest for 2,000 hits. He reached that milestone last Friday, but now the count down is on for his 500th career home run. It's a good bet that the veteran slugger will be left in the starting line-up until he surpasses that milestone (barring injury).

Petagine does his job well (arguably better than Kiyohara), and the fans really like and appriciate him. But the fans love Kiyohara like you wouldn't believe. Kiyohara was a high school star more popular than Matsui Hideki or even Matsuzaka.

There is hope that Petagine will get in to play soon, though. Last year the Giants played Kawai Masahiro until he he broke the world record for most sacrifice bunts, then pretty much retired the veteran. (They tried to force him to retire, but he refused and signed with Chunichi this year. But that's another story.) I have no reason to believe, with Kiyo's performance, that he'll won't be benched soon after he reaches 500 career home runs - getting his chances to improve that as a pinch hitter for the rest of the season. The fans may protest, and the Giants will do something like use Kiyohara in the starting line-up on weekends or something.

But I doubt if they'll do anything to reduce Kiyohara's chances at reaching 500 career home runs, no matter how illogical it is for the team.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 8, 2004 12:06 AM ]

Excellent answer! I am going to air that information in Radio Deporte 1590 AM on the radio show "This is Baseball" hosted by Duilio DiGiácomo, a former president of Venezuelan Professional Baseball League and baseball man for almost 55 years.

How about the information about Alex Cabrera? Do you know when is he going to start with the Seibu Lions? What is his physical status?

Thanks a lot and truly yours.

Luis Raul Villamizar
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 8, 2004 8:58 AM | YBS Fan ]

You're very welcome. And I'm always happy when word of Japanese baseball gets spread via any media - especially media outlets that actually do reasearch (unlike many in North America).

As a follow up, yesterday's Nikkan Sports (the daily sports paper I subscribe to) stated that Kiyohara will most likely have to chase 500 home runs as a pinch hitter or when Petagine is hurt. Horiuchi-kantoku (manager) said that they went with Kiyohara over the past week plus so that he would get his 2,000th career hit at Tokyo Dome (although that didn't work out). Now that he's done it, Petagine will return as the regular first baseman while he stays healthy. So, my speculation for how it'll be now that Kiyo has his 2,000th hit was only half right (assuming Nikkan Sports got the "real" scoop).
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 8, 2004 11:17 AM ]

Good news for Petagine and his Venezuelan fans! However, for western baseball, it is difficult to learn that a star player can be singled out of a lineup because a backup player needs some numbers to attain some personal goals. The replacement of Petagine by Kiyohara has diminished his stats and performances. Remember that Petagine had the best numbers in the Yomiuri Giants team in spite of only playing in 100 games.

The "This is Baseball" team follows Japan baseball with intensity and we consider it the second strongest baseball league in the world.

Finally, I really appreciate if you can get some information about the Alex Cabrera comeback. It would be a home run knowing his whereabouts.

Cordially,

Luis Raul Villamizar
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 8, 2004 11:56 AM | YAK Fan ]

- How about the information about Alex Cabrera? Do you know when is he going to start with the Seibu Lions? What is his physical status?

The last report I read over on Yahoo! Japan said that Cabby was taking batting practice a couple days ago and reported no pain from the arm that got broken. The report listed his comeback as sometime mid to late June. I'm guessing towards the end after a short rehab assignment through with the farm team.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 8, 2004 11:53 PM ]

Great information for "This is Baseball." If you learn more news about Alex Cabrera, we will be glad to inform thousands of Venezuelan fans about it.

Truly yours,

Luis Raul Villamizar
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 11, 2004 12:58 PM | YAK Fan ]

Just read another article over on Yahoo! Japan this morning noting that Cabrera took a 1 hour batting practice session and stated he feels about 75-80% right now. He stated he would like to be back with the club on the 21st of June, a home game at Seibu Dome against the Orix BlueWave.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 13, 2004 10:16 AM ]

Thanks a lot! What valuable information! We will report it in "This is Baseball" (Radio Deporte 1590 AM, Caracas, 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm) this coming Monday the 14th.

By the way, are you Japanese or from the USA?

My best greetings and regards,

Luis Raul Villamizar
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Jun 13, 2004 1:54 PM | YAK Fan ]

You're welcome. I'm from the USA, living in Japan, and still trying to perfect my Japanese. I live kind of near Seibu Dome, so I'd like to see Cabby come back as soon as possible as well!
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 15, 2004 4:41 AM ]

Great! I will inform it trough "This is Baseball" (Radio Deporte 1590 AM, Caracas, Venezuela).

Will you give me some information about the atmosphere in Seibu around Alex Cabrera? Does he appear in some ads, like PepsiCola? Is he popular in Seibu? What is the population of Seibu?

Thanks!

[Admin note: Seibu isn't a place. It's the name of a railroad and department store conglomerant. They play in Tokorozawa, Saitama prefecture, just on the outskirts of Tokyo.]
Cabrera to Return June 21
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jun 20, 2004 11:09 AM | YBS Fan ]

Today's (6/20) Nikkan Sports reports that Alex Cabrera will be back in Seibu's starting lineup starting tomorrow, June 21st.
Re: Cabrera to Return June 21
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 20, 2004 2:49 PM ]

Thanks. The returning of Cabrera is confirmed for June, the 21th.
Re: Cabrera to Return June 21
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Jun 24, 2004 11:55 PM ]

You scored a grand slam! Cabrera debuted hitting 0-4 this June the 21th. We gave you credit in "This is Baseball." We will keep in touch later.

Thanks!

Luis Raul Villamizar
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.